• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardiola's Laboratory

BayernZone - Blog

Guardiola's Laboratory
    by Badger on August 9th, 2013

I have greatly enjoyed watching Guardiola in his first six or seven weeks at Bayern. He fielded some surprising ideas in the friendly matches in that period, but I held to the idea that he's a very competent manager and everything must have some logic behind it - much of it even interrelated. The article I've written is my reading of what I've seen in those weeks. It is not a short article, and I'd be surprised if many agree with it in its entirety, but I hope everyone who reads it will find some food for thought to take into the new season. I wrote it partly because it focussed my own ideas about what I'd seen in the preseason and what I wanted to look out for in the new season.

Continue reading:
    Guardiola's Laboratory | BayernZone - FC Bayern München blog

Feel free to comment and/or discuss!

Perfect. It was a very educating and informative read Badger. Your conclusions make total sense.

Comment

I took my time to read the entire thing, and seriously can't come up with any words which express my agreement to this. It's thorough, thoughtful insight at macro- as well as microlevels of our preseason, it's reasonable, it's accurate, and above all it makes sense. It's what a lot of people had as a concept when we posted about giving Guardiola time as well as trying out stuff in preseason to add to (instead of replace) our current tactics, but condensed into a through-and-through excellent article.

This wouldn't be out of place in an expert's magazine or in a tactical discussion debate. Badger, my hat's off to you - this is singlehandedly the best blog post I've read about tactics and the one which most closely agrees to my personal thoughts, which I'd never be able to express so well. Kudos.

Comment

watch this and you will understand his football, this is not a barcelona tactic, this is his view of football, it's a lie to say barcelona played like that before pep, the rijkaard team was more like bayern than barcelona under pep.

Gary Neville's Analysis of the Clasico between Barcelona & Real Madrid on Dec 10, 2011 - YouTube

Comment

Nice article Badger.

I will only make a comment to this line about the lost of the ball.

"It isn’t too difficult in attack, because there are extra midfielders in the area and, hence, almost always someone nearby to pass to if under pressure, but in defence, when Bayern have lost possession, it is a challenge to quickly determine who is out of position, what cover is needed and who should challenge for the ball."

Dortmund game...

First goal, and individual error by DVB that breaked the defence line ( Coompreensive he tryed to protect the net goal) folowing one other by Stark.

Second goal, and individual error (badluck) by DVB.

Third goal, the ball is losed and ther's not enough, an in time coverage off the right side by a player, that should be Muller, we see him running like a madman, probably because he new that he should be couvering that zone.

Fourth goal, the ball is losed, ther's a pass into the middle and we see a Dortmund player running from his middfield, Kroos loked at him when the player was still far behind him, he didn't tried to chase or block that player knowing that he was going for a goal. (Kroos was in Alaba's position in that moment so he should do Alaba's work)

There are a lot more errors to talk, that, surelly, are caused by the system, but I see them as individual errors in the system, more than a error off the system.

Comment

Brilliant article, very informative and great analysis. The entire situation seems much clearer now thanks to you. I'm glad my wish for reading a blog written by you finally came true!

Comment

Wavy and GarciLP,
              Thanks for the comments, which were very generous indeed. I’m glad that you enjoyed reading the article.

Newguy,
              I didn’t get looking at that video yet, but hope to have a glance at it later.

Ruievan,
              Thanks for the points you added. I hope that I’ve understood them correctly. My view is that many of Guardiola’s tactics – indeed, many of any manager’s tactics – will have some weaknesses. Therefore, these tactics need to be introduced together with supporting tactics or measures to balance them. The group of tactics that is then rolled out together is the overall system. I believe that Guardiola is as aware as anyone what weaknesses each tactic has, and what measures are needed to counter any of their weaknesses, and I believe that the system he ultimately rolls out will be cohesive, balanced and effective. In these early days, while the players haven’t quite mastered the tactics, we need to be careful not to blame the tactics when individual error is the problem; that confuses the issue. It may be the tactic that is at fault, but it is a mistake to form that conclusion too soon.

BayernCurry,
              Thanks, too, for your comments. You did indeed sow the first seed idea that I should try writing a blog. I’d never considered it previously, and I probably responded to your suggestion by saying something along the lines that I was unlikely to try it. Anyway, I hope to write a couple more during the season, and am setting myself the target of writing at least one more before the end of the year.

Comment

Wonderful article!

Your points are stated all too well, and although I didn't agree with the potential of Martinez working in CB, you surely explained the principle behind it very well. Enlightening!

Comment

Well thought-through, factually accurate and impeccably written.

Kudos to you. But I expected as much when I saw who had written it.

Comment

It's hard for me to add to what's already been said by the guys above lol. Very good article from start to finish. I do hope you gift us with more articles as the season progresses!

Comment

mate , great ideas and your english is perfect
                      that was amazing

Comment

As Jon pointed out, the expectations to your blog are like the fans' expectations to Bayern at the moment. However, you did not disappoint.

Thank you for a very well written post which like few others gives me motivation to look at Bayern's matches another way than I usually do. You bring to light a lot of things that I hadn't given much thought untill now. And to add to that in a very well argued way. Thank you.

Edit: As I watch the match against Gladbach now, I can really see what you mean about Robben adapting; most, fans and experts alike, judged him done in Bayern after Pep's arrival, however as seen today, him and Ribery are driving Bayern forward, making us unpredictable and creating the goals. However your other point about Pep wanting the players to play the ball early in order to save their fitness is a bit harder to see. Many of the players like Ribery, Schweinsteiger, Dante and so on seems to be a bit reluctant to pass the ball in time. While Ribery is excused - him keeping the ball only adds unpredictability and goal creating chances to our play - the others either lose the ball or use unnecessary energy. I guess some of the players are still adapting to the more fast paced game you describe in your post
                        Last edited by Ditlivia; 09-08-2013, 20:30.

Comment

Great read.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Comment

The Gladbach game was like a statement that confirmed your articles "thesis" even more. Great work, Badger!

Comment

FCBM13, Jon, Ruht, mea95, Ditlivia, Herbalist and Xander,
                              Thanks for all your comments. Many of them are embarrassingly generous. The article took quite a while to prepare and write, and your feedback makes me feel that the effort was worthwhile.

Ditlivia,
                              You mention some point I made about the one-touch football being to conserve energy. I think I know where that came from, but I’d like to clarify that that is a very minor reason for it – almost like a by-product. The main reason for one-touch or two-touch football is to create a high tempo, hitting the opponents with a whirlwind that confuses, stretches and breaks them down. I agree that we’re only seeing snippets of that at the moment, usually in the first half hour of the game. I think that Guardiola will want a lot more – not a constant 90 mins of it, as that is too taxing, but a good spread of it across the 90 mins.

Comment

Working...
                              X