Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #22 Tom Starke

Tom Starke

I'm curious, how many true Ossis (born and lived a good amount of time in east Germany) have palyed for Bayern?

Comment

I hope Starke will be a good guy as Butt, about the whole being the backup keeper topic.

Originally posted by Grey View Post
      I'm curious, how many true Ossis (born and lived a good amount of time in east Germany) have palyed for Bayern?
      Toni Kroos?

Comment

Originally posted by HSK View Post
        I hope Starke will be a good guy as Butt, about the whole being the backup keeper topic.

Toni Kroos?
        *Facepalm*

Comment

Originally posted by HSK View Post

Toni Kroos?
          Too young, I'd say. I tried to clarify what I mean by saying that they actually lived for a good number of years in pre-unification East Germany.

Comment

Too young, I'd say. I tried to clarify what I mean by saying that they actually lived for a good number of years in pre-unification East Germany.
            Ballack

Comment

New number two
              Seasoned Starke relishing fresh challenge

Summer signing Tom Starke’s first four days in Munich have to an extent been a personal journey back in time. When the 31-year-old was taking his first tentative steps into the professional game with home club Dynamo Dresden, newly-appointed FCB board member for sport Matthias Sammer was already a leading personality in the Dresden first team.

Starke moved to Leverkusen in 1999, where he spent a year in the U–19 squad before being promoted to the pro ranks. As of 2001, Leverkusen’s first choice goalkeeper was Jörg Butt, who Starke now succeeds as Bayern's backup goalie. “As a young keeper, I picked up experience of the job. I spent five years on the bench as Jörg Butt’s deputy," Starke said after training on Thursday.

The man who played 12 times at U-21 level for Germany fully understands the goalkeeping hierarchy at Bayern. Manuel Neuer is the undisputed first-choice keeper, backed up by Starke as an experienced shot-stopper with some 200 first and second division games under his belt.

Ready if required

“I think it's important the first-choice keeper knows there's someone pushing him, so he can't concede an inch," said Starke, who is currently living alone in a hotel but plans to move into a house with his family once the school summer holidays begin. “Every player has room to improve," he commented, “and if there's someone working hard and committing himself in the background, it boosts everyone's performance."

Starke played for Hamburg, Paderborn and Duisburg before switching to Hoffenheim two years ago. He described joining Bayern as “something very special," although he admitted “it wasn't easy for me in some ways. I spent six seasons as a number one, and my plan was to remain first choice, but after thinking it over briefly, the decision was made relatively quickly."

The attraction of Munich was “the overall package," said the father of two. “The chance of competing for trophies with a club playing world-class football. That's definitely something you want to have done," Starke mused. His immediate plan is to work hard “and deliver the goods in training. Because at some point, it might perhaps be necessary to deliver the goods in another way, and if that happens, it can be hard if you have to up the ante."
              FC Bayern München AG

Comment

Jens Jeremies

Comment

Originally posted by fleckes View Post
                  Jens Jeremies
                  Ballack

Comment

Yeah, Bosstuber already mentioned Ballack.

I searched a little bit more to make the list a little bit more complete:

Michael Ballack
                    Jens Jeremies
                    Thomas Linke
                    Alexander Zickler
                    Carsten Jancker
                    Tim Borowski

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Jeremies, the unsung hero. What a player, what a player. Amazing fighting spirit. We miss such a player in our midfield department. Him and Effenberg made a formidable scary midfield.

Comment

Thomas Linke was a great defender ... I wish we can find another Linke

Comment

Tom Starke thread

Comment

I'm not sure if Starke was the better option for us.

From what I saw in friendly matches, he sucks. Lacks confidence and makes stupid mistakes. Plus, his good saves are very rare.

He certanly isn't better than Hans-Jörg.

Comment

Working...
                              X