No announcement yet.

#6 Thiago Alcántara

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm trying to figure out how James comes from Thiago. It really baffles me. I always try to find how a certain name is said in other languages, but I would've never figured this out.

Edit: I'm currently learning Russian, I should try to learn Arabic as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wavy View Post
      I'm trying to figure out how James comes from Thiago. It really baffles me. I always try to find how a certain name is said in other languages, but I would've never figured this out.

Might be easier to get to Thiago directly from Jacob, rather than from James. It’s more that James and Thiago are both nicknames for Jacob, rather than Thiago itself evolving from James. Now, as for why James is a nickname for Jacob, that one definitely blew my mind the first time I heard it. That means “Jim” is a nickname of a nickname (Jim, James, Jacob).

Comment

• Originally posted by mea95 View Post
        Just to be more precise:
        Cantara = قنطرة, meaning Arch and not bridge.
        Al = ال = the

So Alcantara = القنطرة = The Arch

That's interesting if true. I never thought about it [emoji14]
        May i ask a question too? Álvares have any specific meaning in arabic?

I'm doing a genealogical research from my paternal line and now i'm stucked in the final XVII... Interesting that Álvares turned to be Alves today.

Enviado de meu SM-G570M usando o Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by franz View Post

I'm doing a genealogical research from my paternal line and now i'm stucked in the final XVII... Interesting that Álvares turned to be Alves today.
          There is the word "fares" in Arabic, which means Knight (fares = فارس)
          It's an 'f' and not a 'v'.
          And like I've said: Al = The.

So Alfares = The Knight in Arabic. Alvares and Alfares could be the same but I'm not sure

Comment

• Thank you!

Edit: Just remembered that Alferes is/was a military rank too.

Last edited by franz; 05-10-2019, 12:27.

Comment

• Originally posted by mea95 View Post
              Just to be more precise:
              Cantara = قنطرة, meaning Arch and not bridge.
              Al = ال = the

So Alcantara = القنطرة = The Arch

That's interesting if true. I never thought about it [emoji14]
              quick addition ;
              in original Arabic texts Alcantara or القنطرة does NOT mean Arch as in this one;

Alcantara is actually a mix of the two, a bridge in the shape of an arch to connect two sides of a river bank.
              something like this;

or this;

in modern Arabic though the word Alcantara has ceased to exist in the day to day usage of the word, now the word Bridge "Al-Jeser" or Geser" "جسر" are used to reference to both kind of bridges arch shaped or otherwise.

Comment

• Originally posted by franz View Post

I failed to make the connection between Alvares & Al-Fares (The Knight) in Arabic, my quick search came up with the result that Alvares has a German origins and it's just a patronymic for the name Alvaro. as in Alvares the son of Alvaro.

Comment

• Can we please get on topic here geeez. I don’t think really any of us care about the origin of the name Thiago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Muller25 View Post
                    Can we please get on topic here geeez. I don’t think really any of us care about the origin of the name Thiago.
                    If you bothered to read the posts, you'd quickly disabuse yourself of the notion that no one cares about the etymology of Thiago. That said, I will bring the Alvarez discussion to random BS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wavy View Post
                      I'm trying to figure out how James comes from Thiago. It really baffles me. I always try to find how a certain name is said in other languages, but I would've never figured this out.

Portuguese speakers might know it better, but as far as I know Th in Thiago is pronounced more like Tch instead of Th. It's already very close to Jacob which is another version for James.
                      Santiago = St. James, who (according to the tradition) spent some time (and also died) in today's Spain. That's why he is regarded as one of the most popular saints in Latin countries.

Comment

• Originally posted by Muller25 View Post
                        Can we please get on topic here geeez. I don’t think really any of us care about the origin of the name Thiago.
                        You sir are wrong! Actually I find it quite fascinating. At least it is a welcome read few minutes before our game
                        So props for finding this stuff out to Sakujo and all other fellow thiagoists!
                        Last edited by Chucky; 05-10-2019, 14:29.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanaSchofield View Post
                          I actually feel like I'm arguing with a brick wall
                          Originally posted by Wavy View Post
                          You are arguing with a brick wall. An old brick wall.
                          Originally posted by DanaSchofield View Post
                          Have some respect that wall is better than other walls because it used to be a wall at a Greek Sunday League teams training ground
                          Originally posted by FernandoBR View Post
                          I wish Thiago would change his last name from Alcântara to Schweitzer or Giorgyakos. That way we wouldn't have to deal with this non sense
                          Thanks for your compliments guys!

At least that's something valid esp. when you run out of arguements.

I know it's hard when the same video you post, proves you wrong.

Next time be more careful and see it before you post it!

Oh......and by the way, where was Thiago on Saturday!

Guess that wasn't a big game, eh?
                          He is made for the big ones....
                          Hahahaahahaha!

Take at look at this also.

Thiago our 15th best player (THE WORST) in BL so far according to kicker!
                          But they are biassed I forgot....hahahahaha.
                          Still it's a big difference being the 15th and not the star player of a team.
                          How delusional.

https://www.kicker.de/1-bundesliga/b...eler/2019-20/7

Got more for you.....

238th best Bundesliga player of the season so far.

https://www.kicker.de/1-bundesliga/topspieler/2019-20/7

87th best bundesliga midfielder

https://www.kicker.de/1-bundesliga/t...feld/2019-20/7

Yeh...yeh....I'm the one being blinded by my hate

Comment

• Cool, now do last season. And the season before. It’s no surprise you let you Thiago hate lie dormant until the only moment he starts struggling. Haven’t heard a peep from you while he was destroying Madrid season after season, except now when you pipe up to deny the last 3 years of history in favor of a handful of opening BuLi matches.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grey View Post
                              Cool, now do last season. And the season before. It’s no surprise you let you Thiago hate lie dormant until the only moment he starts struggling. Haven’t heard a peep from you while he was destroying Madrid season after season, except now when you pipe up to deny the last 3 years of history in favor of a handful of opening BuLi matches.
                              The only time struggling....hahahaha....come on grey.

Just a reminder.....during his 3 first seasons he was for one year and a half injured.

And that fairytale about destroying Madrid season after season is only in your dreams....we've talked about it before.

He was good only on the last season of those you mentioned.

Plus, i was always here talking about him not being the star player you think he is!

Comment

• He, like nearly ever midfielder we’ve purchased in the last 10 years, took a couple of seasons to gel. So what?

The recent 2-7 really shows with complete finality how little weight your opinion on Thiago is owed. At this point it’s as fringe and divorced from reality as a Trumpist. As such, there’s no benefit arguing with someone so out of touch on this issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X