Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grey
    replied
    The irony is that Boateng played flawlessly in the 2016 Euro until that moment.

Leave a comment:

• RJNair
    replied
    Boateng and his flailing hands were the biggest facepalm moments from him during his incredible run of form. You just have no idea what went on his hand when he shot his arms up like a ballerina lmfao

Leave a comment:

• mea95
    replied
    IMO, Boateng was the best CB in the world between 2013-2015/16.

However, he had several shitty moments and made several blunders.

For example, wtf was that:

Leave a comment:

• OnlyInsider
    replied
    Originally posted by FernandoBR View Post
    I disagree. 2012-2014 Boateng he was untouchable as the best CB in the world. Not only his long passes were deadly (still are), his build up was excellent (still is) he was a machine defending. His WC final performance arguably is the best performance ever by a CB in WC history

Enviado de meu Moto Z2 Play usando o Tapatalk
    Don't get me wrong, both had brilliant times and moments (Boateng more than Hummels) but I never really rated any of them very high. Both too error prone for my liking, part of it is probably also to the high line played in Bayern and Germany.

Leave a comment:

• FernandoBR
    replied
    Originally posted by OnlyInsider View Post
    I was never that impressed by neither of them.

Borh Boateng and Hummels are great in the build up play but as doing a defenders job first and foremost (defending that is), I didn’t fancy any.

To me is it rare to find really good defenders in todays football, it’s mostly about defensive players that can do 5 things but aren’t world class in just one thing. I rather take a player that is excellent in one single thing than just average in multiple areas.
    I disagree. 2012-2014 Boateng he was untouchable as the best CB in the world. Not only his long passes were deadly (still are), his build up was excellent (still is) he was a machine defending. His WC final performance arguably is the best performance ever by a CB in WC history

Leave a comment:

• Morlock
    replied
    Originally posted by DanaSchofield View Post

Badstuber was great, such a shame he had so many injuries
    So good to know that there are many more Badstuber fans. It is really sad he got those damn injuries.

Leave a comment:

• DanaSchofield
    replied
    Originally posted by L4nd3r View Post

I think 2011 and 2012 he was, altough like Grey, i ma Badstuber stan
    Badstuber was great, such a shame he had so many injuries

Leave a comment:

• OnlyInsider
    replied
    I was never that impressed by neither of them.

Borh Boateng and Hummels are great in the build up play but as doing a defenders job first and foremost (defending that is), I didn’t fancy any.

To me is it rare to find really good defenders in todays football, it’s mostly about defensive players that can do 5 things but aren’t world class in just one thing. I rather take a player that is excellent in one single thing than just average in multiple areas.

Leave a comment:

• L4nd3r
    replied
    Originally posted by FernandoBR View Post
    He was never better than Boateng, like not ever.

I think 2011 and 2012 he was, altough like Grey, i ma Badstuber stan

Leave a comment:

• FernandoBR
    replied
    Originally posted by PCapitalist View Post
    Hummels was a great CB. Much better than Boateng for much of their careers (Boateng was slightly better for a brief period in 2014-2015).

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk
    He was never better than Boateng, like not ever.

Leave a comment:

• Grey
    replied

There was that stretch of 2011-2013 that Hummels was the best German CB, but afterwards he became too error prone (so much so that i didn't even wanted him at Bayern anymore) for a elite defender.
    Badstuber was better during 2010-12, Boateng was better from 2012 onward. Hummels has never been anything but a danger-seeking error merchant. He's heroic, he's acrobatic, he's insanely lucky - but at the end of the day, 90% of what he's doing is fixing his own fuck-ups. Comparing him to any other more positional defender. How many slide tackles do they make? How many last-ditch deflections end up with them on the floor? These are Hummel's penchant moves and while they look so badass/impressive, they are the mark of a poor defender. A quality CB would have put themselves in a position to neutralize the threat before it ever went that far. And that's exactly what Hummels has struggled with for his whole career.

Leave a comment:

• L4nd3r
    replied
    Originally posted by Grey View Post

Can't think of any season except maybe last season in which Hummels was ever better than Boateng. I've always considered Hummels among the worst of Germany's options because of his penchant for being caught upfield with needless heroics. Boateng, for example, can actually read and perform an offside trap. Hummels screws them up for breakfast (and so does Alaba).
    There was that stretch of 2011-2013 that Hummels was the best German CB, but afterwards he became too error prone (so much so that i didn't even wanted him at Bayern anymore) for a elite defender.

Leave a comment:

• Grey
    replied
    Originally posted by PCapitalist View Post
    Hummels was a great CB. Much better than Boateng for much of their careers (Boateng was slightly better for a brief period in 2014-2015).

Can't think of any season except maybe last season in which Hummels was ever better than Boateng. I've always considered Hummels among the worst of Germany's options because of his penchant for being caught upfield with needless heroics. Boateng, for example, can actually read and perform an offside trap. Hummels screws them up for breakfast (and so does Alaba).

Leave a comment:

• PCapitalist
    replied
    Originally posted by Grey View Post

Nah, strongly disagree. Hummels is good at one thing and one thing only: making last ditch tackles to save his own mistakes. He’s a master at rewriting his own performance through his own saves. Not a single time was I ever impressed with him, and that’s not just at Bayern, it’s over his entire career at BVB and the NT. You can find posts from me on this very board from 2011 bemoaning his completely underserved praise.

As a CB, you can be slow, you can be error-prone, and you can be tactically ignorant - but unless you’re Mats Hummels, you can’t be all three at once.

Leave a comment:

• Grey
    replied

The sad thing is that Hummels usually played great for 98% of the match, but the 2% would throw everything away.
    Nah, strongly disagree. Hummels is good at one thing and one thing only: making last ditch tackles to save his own mistakes. He’s a master at rewriting his own performance through his own saves. Not a single time was I ever impressed with him, and that’s not just at Bayern, it’s over his entire career at BVB and the NT. You can find posts from me on this very board from 2011 bemoaning his completely underserved praise.

As a CB, you can be slow, you can be error-prone, and you can be tactically ignorant - but unless you’re Mats Hummels, you can’t be all three at once.
    Last edited by Grey; Yesterday, 00:17.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X