No announcement yet.

Xabi Alonso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know what's wrong with him ...
    Can't wait for Javi's comeback

Comment

• Originally posted by mea95 View Post
      I don't know what's wrong with him ...
      Can't wait for Javi's comeback
      I think he's jaded.

Comment

• Xabi can't handle this much playing time. Pep should've started with Rode.

Comment

• Yes i think starting Rode... would've actually surprised Porto to good effect. They were prepared for Xabi.

Really Xabi was the best we had. And Xabi when put under pressure... is another story.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wavy View Post
            Xabi can't handle this much playing time. Pep should've started with Rode.
            This is the truth. I he has played so much more than he should.

I know it´s because of injuries and all, but really. He´s been severely over played this season.

Comment

• I can't understand why this many people can't understand why Xabi is error prone and not as good as before winter break when he was our motor.

It's because Guardiola has overplayed him... He isn't a definite starter any more, he's more of a rotational player which van certanly deliver.

I'm happy he's here for Rode's and Gaudino's sake and I hope we won't get rid of him but I also hope Schweini will stay fit enough so they can rotate with Thiago, hopefully Javi and if Guardiola stays, Alaba.

Comment

• I don't see why he's been overplayed while Rode rots on the bench.

Comment

• Originally posted by igorthebrave View Post
                  I don't see why he's been overplayed while Rode rots on the bench.
                  They aren't really all that similar other than the fact that they are both central midfielders. Rode seems to be a player more along the lines of how Lahm is currently being played (which is actually quite different from how Lahm was played last year). Lahm on the other hand should relieve a much overplayed Xabi for the simple fact that there isn't another player on the team who can deputize for Xabi as a lone holding mid. Schweini did it well enough when he had Alaba in a free role around him making space, but I doubt that Schweini will be able to perform as well without him. Javi is a great DM but isn't good at playing a lone holding role (as evidenced by last season). We really only have Xabi and Lahm and for some reason Pep wants Lahm to play more like a right CAM, which is lunacy.

Comment

• lahm as a lone holding mid is also lunacy tbh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zorz View Post
                      lahm as a lone holding mid is also lunacy tbh.
                      I'd be willing to debate that, but I think the bigger point is that Lahm as a RCM or RCAM is the biggest lunacy of them all. Lahm is a defensive player goddammit.

Comment

• well his frame just isn't fit for such a physical role that a DM has, no matter his godlike defensive skills.

lahm is a fullback, anywhere else he's a waste WC skill and exp.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zorz View Post
                          well his frame just isn't fit for such a physical role that a DM has, no matter his godlike defensive skills.

lahm is a fullback, anywhere else he's a waste WC skill and exp.
                          I see it more as a gradation. To be honest, I've always thought Lahm was a better RB than anything else, but I was quite pleased by his DM performances during 2013-14 because he provided all of the short-passing and positioning skills needed to play what I believe is the hardest position on the pitch - the lone holding mid. You're right that his physique was not up to the task, which is why he was only ever "good" and never "great." And at times, he was just "bad" even at DM in a sole holding role. But any failings here absolutely pale in comparison to how bad he's been as a CM/CAM.

Here's how I see it (for Lahm only obviously)

(best) RB > LB > DM > CM > CAM (worst)

Comment

• Originally posted by Grey View Post
                            I see it more as a gradation. To be honest, I've always thought Lahm was a better RB than anything else, but I was quite pleased by his DM performances during 2013-14 because he provided all of the short-passing and positioning skills needed to play what I believe is the hardest position on the pitch - the lone holding mid. You're right that his physique was not up to the task, which is why he was only ever "good" and never "great." And at times, he was just "bad" even at DM in a sole holding role. But any failings here absolutely pale in comparison to how bad he's been as a CM/CAM.

Here's how I see it (for Lahm only obviously)

(best) RB > LB > DM > CM > CAM (worst)
                            Agreed. Lahm's passing skills were good for a lone DM. He was Biscuits minus the physical frame and aerial ability. He did offer a lot of protection to our defense.

I think we as fans have forgot how awesome it was to have Lahm & Robben on the right flank & Alaba & Ribery on the left. It was amazing and no teams in football history had this good FB + Winger Combo. It was our wings which won us the title. I remember all fans complaining how predictable we were all our attacks and creativity came from the wings.

Hopefully we will have Lahm & Alaba back playing Full-Back soon.

Comment

• His contract runs until 2016. Why not sell him now, when we can still get something out of him?

Comment

• Originally posted by albanian7 View Post
                                His contract runs until 2016. Why not sell him now, when we can still get something out of him?
                                That makes sense on someone like Kroos. But Alonso? He's not worth an amount of money sizeable enough to make a difference. I'd much rather have him stay knowing that he can play, even if he doesn't, than getting some 5m for him. It's not like we desperately need to cut wages or need money for a big transfer, and he has shown to be more than reliable. So I see no reason to even think about selling him.

Comment

Working...
                                X