No announcement yet.

Xabi Alonso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No doubt he's still fantastic but unfortunately he can no longer play twice a week without his form dropping

Comment

• Originally posted by uniqueplayer View Post
      if one isn`t a stranger to the meaning of "overplaying", than I agree with that
      I'm saying this all the time.

If Carlo will dose his appearances I think he can still be an asset to the team next season and this extension is a good move.

Comment

• Xabi: I'm happy in Munich

Lahm is not the only man who appreciates the Basque's relaxed and accommodating manners. The people in charge at FC Bayern recognise Alonso's qualities and extended the Spanish world and European champion’s contract through 2017 shortly before Christmas. “It's a pleasure to stay, and I'm happy I’ll be playing here for at least one more year,” declared Alonso, who feels “very much at home” in Munich.

The midfielder aims to expand his impressive collection of silverware too. “I have the feeling we have good chances in the race for all three titles,” stressed Alonso, but qualified his statement: “Provided all the players are available and in the right condition.” In the second half of the previous campaign FCB had “many problems, week by week,” according to the seasoned fighter. “Hopefully we'll be more lucky than last year this time.”
        full article here

Comment

• Football Leaks revealed that the transfer of @XabiAlonso from @realmadrid to @FCBayernEN in 2014 cost Bayern €9 million

Is this a different number then what has been communicated back then?

Comment

• Originally posted by St3ph3n View Post
            Football Leaks revealed that the transfer of @XabiAlonso from @realmadrid to @FCBayernEN in 2014 cost Bayern €9 million

Is this a different number then what has been communicated back then?
            No. It was actually said, it was €10M.

Comment

• This guy is too cool

Comment

• I have supported this guy a lot but honestly he is way too slow to play in competitive tough matches.

With Kimmich growing I am not sure what he adds anymore - He is a great guy & very experienced but I'd rather add a CM & ship him.

The contract extension was a very wrong decision. He is 34 - That is too much for a starting CM & we already have players like Kimmich for rotation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Footyfan View Post
                  I have supported this guy a lot but honestly he is way too slow to play in competitive tough matches.

With Kimmich growing I am not sure what he adds anymore - He is a great guy & very experienced but I'd rather add a CM & ship him.

The contract extension was a very wrong decision. He is 34 - That is too much for a starting CM & we already have players like Kimmich for rotation.
                  I believe he'll fit in better under Carlo. Time will tell, I don't think Bayern extended for fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Argeta View Post
                    I believe he'll fit in better under Carlo. Time will tell, I don't think Bayern extended for fun.
                    Pep has used him very well, he is not getting older. Carlo won't play a system build for him or play him in a Pirlo role - Carlo loves a 4-4-2- or 4-4-1-1 & we have Muller & Lewa. You will very likely see Xabi Alonso in a 2 man holding midfield @ Bayern.

And I don't see him having the pace or legs for important CHL games or even against Dortmund - He is very risky to play on the counter

Comment

• when Boateng and Javi are fit , and hopefully Benatia gaining his form , Alonso will stay on the bench in the big matches (Vidal, Kimmich & Thiago are better options in midfield)

Comment

I have supported this guy a lot but honestly he is way too slow to play in competitive tough matches.

Couldn't agree more.... yet his presence in Munich can do nothing than good.
                        As far as we'll keep him away from the pitch during those games that you've mentioned!

Comment

• Jesus you forget how many screamers he's actually scored over the years. Whatever you think to him now, you cannot deny how amazing he's been during his career

Comment

• He was rested today?

Comment

Pep has used him very well, he is not getting older. Carlo won't play a system build for him or play him in a Pirlo role - Carlo loves a 4-4-2- or 4-4-1-1 & we have Muller & Lewa. You will very likely see Xabi Alonso in a 2 man holding midfield @ Bayern.

And I don't see him having the pace or legs for important CHL games or even against Dortmund - He is very risky to play on the counter
                              Ancelotti plays both 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 variants and except for Chelsea he has used a "regista" (deep playmaker) in all of his teams (I didn't see his PSG). He had Milan purchase Pirlo from Inter and converted him from CAM into a deep playmaker so that he can play from the deep like Alonso and has played him until he was 30. In his final years at Milan he had half the team over 30 yrs of age (Maldini, Seedorf, Pirlo, Ambrosini, Nesta, Gattuso, Inzaghi all over 30) because like most Italian coaches he tends to rely on experienced players.

At Chelsea he mostly used Obi Mikel but still relied on experienced and technical players. At Milan Gattuso was the only fighter box-to-box type player (like Vidal), he used to field Pirlo, Kaka, Seedorf, Ambrosini, Rui Costa all at the same time because he likes technical players and a fluid passing game.

He did the same at Real and played Alonso as much as he can with players like Di Maria, Isco, Modric, Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema in front of him. In his second season with Real he played Kroos, Modric, J. Rodriguez/Isco, Ronaldo, Bale and Benzema all at the same time. You may argue his bench didn't have good defensive midfielders but his pattern's the same all the way from his Milan days. He'll have a deeper bench with more variety at Bayern than the teams he's worked before but I expect this pattern to continue to a degree.

But he'll use Alonso.

Another thing is in his second season his Real Madrid defense played almost higher on the pitch than Guardiola's Bayern. He likes his team to play as a block. If the team is playing offensive, the defense will stay high to preserve the block.

Last edited by fashiondesign; 23-04-2016, 21:48.

Comment

• Maybe he'll use Thiago as a regista. Let's not panic with the "Alonso will always play" thing before he arrives.

He did use a Modric-Kroos double pivot in his second Madrid season, which would be equivalent to Vidal-Thiago. So that's not completely out of the question either.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by PCapitalist; 23-04-2016, 21:55.

Comment

Working...
                                X