This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bassnos View Post
    I remember when BZ tried to kill me when I sad that we should buy Salah last year. Only argument was that he can not score... LOL
    Old narratives die hard around here

Comment

• Originally posted by Tommy5Rings View Post
      There are more goals per game scored in the Bundesliga than the prem, the competitiveness of the league speaks to the parity between the top teams while Bayern is far and away better than any team in the BL (City actually made the prem look like the BL this year). Gnabry plays a more forward/SS role for Hoffenheim than winger and both he and Coman have played almost exclusively on the left in the last 2 years.

Thiago is a terrific player and still IMO our best midfielder but I have serious doubts about Kovac playing both him and James in the midfield. He has a preference for physicality and ball winning in challenges which will likely mean more Javi, Goretzka and Vidal.

Salah is a wide forward and far and away the most productive of right advanced players but Sterling and Mbappé are the best of the pack behind him.
      How does the amount of goals scored per game alone speak to thegap in parity between the top and bottom teams? If you want to use stats to backup your argument, then do it properly, or don't bother to do it at all.

Bundesliga: 2.7576 goals/game >> Top 6 aggregate GD +130/bottom 6 aggregate GD -120 (difference of 1.08 goals/game between the top 6 and bottom 6)
      Ligue 1: 2.6944 goals/game >> +190/-142 (1.36 goals/game)
      Serie A: 2.6917 goals/game >> +225/-194 (1.16 goals/game)
      Premier League: 2.6786 goals/game >> +244/-153 (1.59 goals/game)
      La Liga: 2.6303 goals/game >> +180/-156 (1.15 goals/game)

As you can see, the goal/game difference between the top 6 and bottom 6 is the highest in the Premier League, thereby indicating the biggest gap in parity. Although the amount of goals scored in the Bundesliga is a lot higher than in any other league, the parity between the top 6 and bottom 6 (and by inference the teams in the middle) isn't even nearly as high as in the Premier league. Serie A and the Prem are in a league of their own when it comes to parity between top and bottom clubs.
      Last edited by micky; 07-05-2018, 17:01.

Comment

• I should have put a period instead of a comma. Nowhere was I trying to infer that the parity and goals per game were related. More that production in the prem is harder to come by than in the BL. You're doing that thing you claim I do because of a comma instead of a period.
        Last edited by Tommy5Rings; 07-05-2018, 17:13.

Comment

I should have put a period instead of a comma. Nowhere was I trying to infer that the parity and goals per game were related. More that production in the prem is harder to come by than in the BL. You're doing that thing you claim I do because of a comma instead of a period.
          Even if you had used a period, your statement after that period would've been incorrect anyways, and the first clause would've just ended up being a statement of a fact. So a period wouldn't have helped your case, actually.

To say that "production in the prem is harder to come by than in the BL" is a highly simplified statement. Production in the Prem is harder to come by than in the BL by clubs outside of top is a more correct statement. If you look at the stats I posted, you can see that the Prem's top 6 clubs score more than that of any other league, and as the goals/game ratio in the Prem is lower than elsewhere (bar La Liga), we can conclude that teams outside of the top 6 in the Prem suck at both finishing and defending, thereby contributing to the low quality of the league as a whole. Feel free to prove this conjecture wrong.

Comment

• The thing is numbers can be misleading in the sense of playing style. When Guardioa is coaching a team, that team attacks with 11 players(yes including goalie) and totally forgets that defending is part of the game. So as time passes defenders will be slowly replaced with midfielders and so on. So what you end up is like 80% possession with a lot of goals scored, it will inflate your numbers in every aspect. Very simple! Guardiola's style can make Sandro Wagner look like the best in the world and the very same style can make world class defender look like a headless chicken. He has extremely bad finishing, he has no brain, and god his running style is disaster!

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackroze View Post
              The thing is numbers can be misleading in the sense of playing style. When Guardioa is coaching a team, that team attacks with 11 players(yes including goalie) and totally forgets that defending is part of the game. So as time passes defenders will be slowly replaced with midfielders and so on. So what you end up is like 80% possession with a lot of goals scored, it will inflate your numbers in every aspect. Very simple! Guardiola's style can make Sandro Wagner look like the best in the world and the very same style can make world class defender look like a headless chicken. He has extremely bad finishing, he has no brain, and god his running style is disaster!
              Exactly what i think about Sterling, he's helped by volume of chances, i mean, i wouldn't complain too much if he came for 35~40 million euros, but 70+? fuck no.

Comment

• 40m for Sterling and he becomes my top transfer target and I don't even like the fucker haha

Comment

• Originally posted by micky View Post
                  Even if you had used a period, your statement after that period would've been incorrect anyways, and the first clause would've just ended up being a statement of a fact. So a period wouldn't have helped your case, actually.

To say that "production in the prem is harder to come by than in the BL" is a highly simplified statement. Production in the Prem is harder to come by than in the BL by clubs outside of top is a more correct statement. If you look at the stats I posted, you can see that the Prem's top 6 clubs score more than that of any other league, and as the goals/game ratio in the Prem is lower than elsewhere (bar La Liga), we can conclude that teams outside of the top 6 in the Prem suck at both finishing and defending, thereby contributing to the low quality of the league as a whole. Feel free to prove this conjecture wrong.
                  Its not that they suck at both finishing and defending but the teams at the top dominate them more than the teams at the top of the BL dominate the rest. Removing the both Bayern and City, the next 5 teams in the prem have more than twice the goal differential of the bundesligas top 5. The parity i specifically referenced is the parity at the top of the PL (historically because again pep turned the PL into the BL this year) compared to the parity at the top of the BL where historically Bayern absolutely dominate. I agree that I made a very simplified statement with respect to production though. Its no harder for city in particular to score than Bayern or Hoffenheim for that matter.

I will say that bundesliga as a whole is far more progressive tactically than the premier league but i'd reject the notion that its somehow a stronger league.

Originally posted by Blackroze View Post
                  The thing is numbers can be misleading in the sense of playing style. When Guardioa is coaching a team, that team attacks with 11 players(yes including goalie) and totally forgets that defending is part of the game. So as time passes defenders will be slowly replaced with midfielders and so on. So what you end up is like 80% possession with a lot of goals scored, it will inflate your numbers in every aspect. Very simple! Guardiola's style can make Sandro Wagner look like the best in the world and the very same style can make world class defender look like a headless chicken. He has extremely bad finishing, he has no brain, and god his running style is disaster!
                  City have conceded the least amount of goals in the PL. They defend by never letting the other team see the ball and its why they've made the hoof and run league look like the Bundesliga with Bayern. Sure Pep inflates the shit out of all attackers numbers but that doesn't seem to stop BZ from lusting over Sané. We'd all take Salah as well even though we know he's producing the goal output he is because of Klopp.

Originally posted by L4nd3r View Post
                  Exactly what i think about Sterling, he's helped by volume of chances, i mean, i wouldn't complain too much if he came for 35~40 million euros, but 70+? fuck no.
                  I'd top out at about 65m tbh, he's still only 23 years old, same age Salah was when he went to Italy. I know he has a bad reputation but Im trying to tell you guys he's played excellent football for City and would waltz in here, start and replicate his production playing for Bayern. He would develop into a star here just like I think Sané would.

Comment

Its not that they suck at both finishing and defending but the teams at the top dominate them more than the teams at the top of the BL dominate the rest. Removing the both Bayern and City, the next 5 teams in the prem have more than twice the goal differential of the bundesligas top 5. The parity i specifically referenced is the parity at the top of the PL (historically because again pep turned the PL into the BL this year) compared to the parity at the top of the BL where historically Bayern absolutely dominate. I agree that I made a very simplified statement with respect to production though. Its no harder for city in particular to score than Bayern or Hoffenheim for that matter.
                    I do agree that the parity amongst the top 6 clubs is stronger in the Prem than in the Bundesliga, or in any other league for that matter. But I do think, and which the figures also indicate, that the gap between the top 6 and the rest is widest in the Prem. To draw a more decisive conclusion, one would have to look at the figures outside of top 6 more in detail, which is why I used the word conjecture previously.
                    Last edited by micky; 07-05-2018, 19:42.

Comment

• Originally posted by micky View Post
                      I do agree that the parity amongst the top 6 clubs is stronger in the Prem than in the Bundesliga, or in any other league for that matter. But I do think, and which the figures also indicate, that the gap between the top 6 and the rest is widest in the Prem. To draw a more decisive conclusion, one would have to look at the figures outside of top 6 more in detail, which is why I used the word conjecture previously.

I agree with all of this and posit that the reason for the gap in the BL between Bayern and the rest, and in the Pl between the top 6 and the rest is the the gap in revenue those clubs bring in vs the smaller clubs in their respective leagues.

I think thats why KHR has been railing against the 50+1 because there just isn't enough incentive for outside investment to even attempt to close the gap between Bayern and the rest the way Tottenham and City have over the last decade to turn the big 4 into the big 6.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grey View Post
                        40m for Sterling and he becomes my top transfer target and I don't even like the fucker haha
                        Is that 40m euros or......... Sterling?

Comment

• Originally posted by DanaSchofield View Post
                          Is that 40m euros or......... Sterling?
                          Oh man, Archer season 5 ep 1 makes this joke too lmao. I guess I should have seen it coming

Comment

• Originally posted by Grey View Post
                            Oh man, Archer season 5 ep 1 makes this joke too lmao. I guess I should have seen it coming
                            Damn, not seen it. Thought I was being original

Comment

• If we miss out on Martial, we can safely say Bayern cucked the transfer window

Comment

• Martial makes too much sense for us in all honesty. He’s a need and available at a reasonable price. His best years are ahead of him and we are a move he’d like being a top club. More of a threat for Lewa and as a LW. I’d assume we’d move Coman to RW full time if we got him.
                                Last edited by Muller25; 08-05-2018, 17:06.

Comment

Working...
                                X