This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Grey View Post
    Heynckes recommended him to us as a 10 (similarly to how he used Kroos), and the board bought him as a 10 to compete with Goetze. Pep on the other hand wanted Thiago as a regista.

My point is that we have a not-too-distant example in this very club of a player brought in with less than optimal defensive ability who was subsequently able to develop that part of their game.

Was Thiago even on our radar when Heynckes was still in charge? The way I remember it Thiago's agent was Pep's brother so he knew all about the contractual details that allowed Thiago to leave on a low fixed fee. Furthermore from the first season on there was talk how Pep valued this Thiago guy while Kroos was still on the team. I distinctly remember that going forward people saw them on the very same position.

The guy Heynckes wanted us to sign instead of Götze as a #10 was Isco.

Comment

• I would like Aouar very much. He's the closest thing to Thiago IMHO

Enviado de meu Moto Z2 Play usando o Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Bazi View Post

Was Thiago even on our radar when Heynckes was still in charge? The way I remember it Thiago's agent was Pep's brother so he knew all about the contractual details that allowed Thiago to leave on a low fixed fee. Furthermore from the first season on there was talk how Pep valued this Thiago guy while Kroos was still on the team. I distinctly remember that going forward people saw them on the very same position.

The guy Heynckes wanted us to sign instead of G�tze as a #10 was Isco.
        Yes, fans saw Kroos and Thiago as playing on the same position, but that is not how it looked like Pep saw them. He played them alongside each other, and that's is what I expect he would have continue doing if Kroos had stayed after 2014. Lahm would have stayed at RB, Schweinsteiger would have left, Javi would have played in defense, Xabi wouldn't have come and our midfield would have been Thiago+Kroos.

Sent from my Mi A3 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by Bazi View Post

The guy Heynckes wanted us to sign instead of Götze as a #10 was Isco.
          Yup, I remember Jupp recommending him to Bayern. Isco too!

My apologies, I didn't mean to compare Thiago and Kroos's ultimate positions as being similar. All I meant was that both moved further back (closer to the defense) prepositionally while playing under Pep.

Comment

• How the board think they can go into the busiest season with only Sané, Gnabry& Coman as wingers is way beyond me.
            Yes Coman scored the goal in Lisbon but still I only count him as half a winger because of his injury history.
            Honestly Gnabry for me is also only like 3/4 winger because I still value his finishing way more than his wing qualities.
            Sané isn't at 100% for the moment so let's also take him as 3/4.
            How drunk do you need to be (probably 'Stephen creating random topics' drunk) to not see how bad this can turn out if Coman get's injured.
            Seriously when you see yourself as the best team in Europe and with the healthiest bank account in Europe, and you don't act upon it, we might be going in for a real shitty season.
            Or maybe Dr Broich is a wonder doctor who can keep our team injury free. Man can dream, right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Effenbergfan View Post
              How the board think they can go into the busiest season with only Sané, Gnabry& Coman as wingers is way beyond me.
              Yes Coman scored the goal in Lisbon but still I only count him as half a winger because of his injury history.
              Honestly Gnabry for me is also only like 3/4 winger because I still value his finishing way more than his wing qualities.
              Sané isn't at 100% for the moment so let's also take him as 3/4.
              How drunk do you need to be (probably 'Stephen creating random topics' drunk) to not see how bad this can turn out if Coman get's injured.
              Seriously when you see yourself as the best team in Europe and with the healthiest bank account in Europe, and you don't act upon it, we might be going in for a real shitty season.
              Or maybe Dr Broich is a wonder doctor who can keep our team injury free. Man can dream, right.
              The writing is on the wall. We don't address a 4th wing and get forced to start Muller there. He in turn playing out of position doesn't play nearly as good as last year and all the Muller haters come out again. Instead of just realizing he's not a wing and should not be judged there. The solution is to actually just get a 4th wing somehow.

Comment

• Originally posted by Muller25 View Post

The writing is on the wall. We don't address a 4th wing and get forced to start Muller there. He in turn playing out of position doesn't play nearly as good as last year and all the Muller haters come out again. Instead of just realizing he's not a wing and should not be judged there. The solution is to actually just get a 4th wing somehow.
                I agree with you and I don't want to resort to Müller as a winger but I honestly think if there's one coach who can get the best out of Müller at RW like Jupp did it's Hansi

Comment

• So what's next for us? Aouar? Kroos?

Comment

• Originally posted by Morlock View Post
                    So what's next for us? Aouar? Kroos?
                    Kroos will never ever return to Bayern München.

Comment

• Originally posted by Morlock View Post
                      So what's next for us? Aouar? Kroos?
                      Camavinga is still available. And with Thiago gone he might like his chances here more than RM.

Comment

• Camavinga is too expensive for us.

I expect Dest and MAYBE a cam/winger type player like Coutinho, all sources point that we are not looking for a Thiago replacement. I want Szoboszlai, he's cheap and extremely talented.

Comment

• Originally posted by Thirteen View Post
                          Camavinga is too expensive for us.

I expect Dest and MAYBE a cam/winger type player like Coutinho, all sources point that we are not looking for a Thiago replacement. I want Szoboszlai, he's cheap and extremely talented.
                          We need a guy with defensive ability in the midfield. Cuisance doesn't offer any defensive ability and we just can't rely on Fein like he's an established player. Our starters right now are Kimmich, Goretzka. With Tolisso as the only legit depth.

Comment

We need a guy with defensive ability in the midfield. Cuisance doesn't offer any defensive ability and we just can't rely on Fein like he's an established player. Our starters right now are Kimmich, Goretzka. With Tolisso as the only legit depth.
                            There's also Javi. But I know he doesn't add much these days as he's mostly injured and past his best days.

But he's still there and can give some cover when he's ready. I think we should keep him his contract out, unless he really wanna go back to Bilbao. If so we should grant him his wish as he's a club legend and should be treated with respect.

Comment

• Originally posted by OnlyInsider View Post

There's also Javi. But I know he doesn't add much these days as he's mostly injured and past his best days.

But he's still there and can give some cover when he's ready. I think we should keep him his contract out, unless he really wanna go back to Bilbao. If so we should grant him his wish as he's a club legend and should be treated with respect.
                              I think he's all but gone so I'm not relying on Javi. But as you stated he's a shell of himself. So he's not a viable option really. He's just a body. Playing one of our athletic CBs who are comfortable on the ball at CDM id prefer.

Comment

I agree, but it seems the board doesn't. I'm all for giving youth chances but without Kimmich we're in trouble unless Fein impresses more than anyone expects.

Comment

Working...
                                X