Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leroy Sane is a top prospect and a realistic target for us. I think he is going to be dissapointed with the minutes he gets at City.

I rate him higher then both Brandt and Draxler.

Ismaila Sarr is also a top prospect. He moved to Rennes this summer.

The transfer of Neymar started the domino effect so i expect that to continue also next summer. But its World Cup summer so its going to be crucial to lock up our targets early.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by micky View Post
      Well but that's where you're wrong. Monaco repeatedly turned down bids of higher than €60m from both Arsenal and Liverpool, until they accepted the former's €100m bid on the last day of the window. What does that indicate? That Monaco have set a price for Lemar, and that price seems to be well over €60m, which is pretty evident. So if there's even one club willing to meet Monaco's asking price, and seem like there's at least two, then it's highly unlikely any club will get Lemar for significantly less.

I do agree with you, though, that Lemar isn't worth that kind of money. In my opinion no player is, be it Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar or Mbappé. In my opinion Lemar isn't worth anymore than Bernardo Silva, but I do believe Lemar will move for a substantially higher amount.
      we shall see, I see the market cooling down considerably with maybe Liverpool and Arsenal after Lemar competing with us. Liverpool have no real need for him and would be doing so in a pre-emptive attempt to reinvest the coutinho money and arsenal will likely be in shambles going into next year. Bayern will be the biggest club after him by far unless Juve or Atletico enter the race but I only see the later doing so if they lose Carrasco. Lots of names available next summer means less inflated fees.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tommy5Rings View Post
        we shall see, I see the market cooling down considerably with maybe Liverpool and Arsenal after Lemar competing with us. Liverpool have no real need for him and would be doing so in a pre-emptive attempt to reinvest the coutinho money and arsenal will likely be in shambles going into next year. Bayern will be the biggest club after him by far unless Juve or Atletico enter the race but I only see the later doing so if they lose Carrasco. Lots of names available next summer means less inflated fees.
        Lots of names for the same position? Can't think of many quality wingers/attacking midfielders who'd all be available next summer. And how exactly would you define availability? I really don't see the market cooling down next summer, but on the contrary. Many clubs need to make a statement in the market next summer: Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Barca, Real and so on. Of those clubs, Arsenal, Real and Barca will most likely be on the lookout for a new LW, and of all the potentially available options Lemar seems the most likely candidate. And if Real finally snatch Hazard, then Chelsea need a replacement. So I'd say no way is the market cooling down (in general), and no way is Lemar moving for less than €60m unless he has a shabby season. Coutinho will also very likely move next summer, if not before, and that'll inflate prices as well. I can see a bidding war for Lemar between 2-3 clubs depending on Alexis, Coutinho and Hazard moving or not moving. Arsenal will definitely go for Lemar again, and they already bid shit tons. And if Coutinho leaves Liverpool, then they'll also very likely revisit Lemar.

Comment

Lots of names for the same position? Can't think of many quality wingers/attacking midfielders who'd all be available next summer. And how exactly would you define availability? I really don't see the market cooling down next summer, but on the contrary. Many clubs need to make a statement in the market next summer: Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Barca, Real and so on. Of those clubs, Arsenal, Real and Barca will most likely be on the lookout for a new LW, and of all the potentially available options Lemar seems the most likely candidate. And if Real finally snatch Hazard, then Chelsea need a replacement. So I'd say no way is the market cooling down (in general), and no way is Lemar moving for less than €60m unless he has a shabby season. Coutinho will also very likely move next summer, if not before, and that'll inflate prices as well. I can see a bidding war for Lemar between 2-3 clubs depending on Alexis, Coutinho and Hazard moving or not moving. Arsenal will definitely go for Lemar again, and they already bid shit tons. And if Coutinho leaves Liverpool, then they'll also very likely revisit Lemar.

Alexis available on a free, Man city will likely be looking to move Raheem Sterling, Liverpool just signed Ox on deadline day to add another attacking wide/mid player and Keïta arrives next summer. Hazard moving is a hypothetical but that would also imply Bale moving the other way. Draxler/Di Maria will likely move on. Douglas Costa's lone will be up and will likely be moved. Martial could be on the move, and so could Willians name as well and a very important player in Barcelona hasn't signed a contract and could be on the move. Dybala's name will come up again, and so will Griezmann's and Carrascos with Atleti being able to move again not to mention a bunch of mid-lower level prospects in/from the Netherlands and France like Memphis, Quincy Prommes and even a German player like Brandt.

There will be a ton of names that could likely go for 60m+ but there isn't enough demand for all these players to command the same sort of ridiculous fees we saw this year. The gap between a Memphis and Lemar is not significant enough to warrant 30m in difference. Lemar has a pretty clear ceiling and in a more saturated market, his price will come back down to a earth. Teams don't gain leverage over time unless the player progresses and Monaco losing everyone else but Lemar puts a big dent in that happening.

Comment

Alexis available on a free, Man city will likely be looking to move Raheem Sterling, Liverpool just signed Ox on deadline day to add another attacking wide/mid player and Keïta arrives next summer. Hazard moving is a hypothetical but that would also imply Bale moving the other way. Draxler/Di Maria will likely move on. Douglas Costa's lone will be up and will likely be moved. Martial could be on the move, and so could Willians name as well and a very important player in Barcelona hasn't signed a contract and could be on the move. Dybala's name will come up again, and so will Griezmann's and Carrascos with Atleti being able to move again not to mention a bunch of mid-lower level prospects in/from the Netherlands and France like Memphis, Quincy Prommes and even a German player like Brandt.

There will be a ton of names that could likely go for 60m+ but there isn't enough demand for all these players to command the same sort of ridiculous fees we saw this year. The gap between a Memphis and Lemar is not significant enough to warrant 30m in difference. Lemar has a pretty clear ceiling and in a more saturated market, his price will come back down to a earth. Teams don't gain leverage over time unless the player progresses and Monaco losing everyone else but Lemar puts a big dent in that happening.
            I highly doubt Sterling will move anywhere as City need homegrown players. Alexis will likely move to City on a Bosman, or wherever he moves it'll be on a Bosman. Keïta is Coutinho's replacement in the midfield, and Ox is only a squad player. I don't see how Hazard and Bale are connected, they're not mutually exclusive as they play on the opposite wings. Costa and Willian aren't really LWs/CAMs plus they're a lot older than Lemar, not to mention not as good to begin with. Same goes for Di Maria except maybe the latter part. Draxler I'd put in the same category as Lemar in terms of position, but the latter is a whole lot better and thus more expensive. Carrasco and Brandt are also relevant names and I'd say the same about them as about Draxler, but Dybala and Griezmann are irrelevant as they're CFs. I don't even see the point of bringing up Memphis and Promes.

There will be more than enough demand next summer for LWs, and of those Alexis and Lemar are the most wanted. If and when Alexis moves to City for nothing, Lemar is the only hot LW in the market, and his price will be driven up. As for Memphis, although his stats are good, he's still an inconsistent performer. Not to mention that he's got a contract until 2010, and Aulas is known for being a tough negotiator so if Memphis moves, it'll be for a high price as well. I don't know if you actually follow Ligue 1/Monaco, seems like you don't, but Monaco have won all their league games thus far and are 2nd in the league with 12 points only behind PSG on goal difference (PSG +12, Monaco +10). So no, Monaco haven't suffered really from selling many key players as they got sufficient replacements, and now Lemar plays even a bigger role than last season and is up to the task. If something, his price will most likely only soar.
            Last edited by micky; 06-09-2017, 11:04.

Comment

• The BBC World Radio said that the reason OX declined Chelsea and chose Liverpool is that he wanted to play in the center, not in the wings, and Liverpool were going to deploy him somewhere in the middle. Ox doesn't really count as a winger anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wavy View Post
                The BBC World Radio said that the reason OX declined Chelsea and chose Liverpool is that he wanted to play in the center, not in the wings, and Liverpool were going to deploy him somewhere in the middle. Ox doesn't really count as a winger anymore.
                Definitely has become a more central player. I watch quite a bit of Arsenal and have to say he has put in some wonderful performances at the 8.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wavy View Post
                  The BBC World Radio said that the reason OX declined Chelsea and chose Liverpool is that he wanted to play in the center, not in the wings, and Liverpool were going to deploy him somewhere in the middle. Ox doesn't really count as a winger anymore.
                  that will turn into quite the crowded midfield, even if Coutinho leaves. Henderson, Can, Keïta, Wijnaldum Lallana and Ox for 3 spots. If they go and pay a shit ton for Lemar then it will be 2.

Comment

I highly doubt Sterling will move anywhere as City need homegrown players. Alexis will likely move to City on a Bosman, or wherever he moves it'll be on a Bosman. Keïta is Coutinho's replacement in the midfield, and Ox is only a squad player. I don't see how Hazard and Bale are connected, they're not mutually exclusive as they play on the opposite wings. Costa and Willian aren't really LWs/CAMs plus they're a lot older than Lemar, not to mention not as good to begin with. Same goes for Di Maria except maybe the latter part. Draxler I'd put in the same category as Lemar in terms of position, but the latter is a whole lot better and thus more expensive. Carrasco and Brandt are also relevant names and I'd say the same about them as about Draxler, but Dybala and Griezmann are irrelevant as they're CFs. I don't even see the point of bringing up Memphis and Promes.

There will be more than enough demand next summer for LWs, and of those Alexis and Lemar are the most wanted. If and when Alexis moves to City for nothing, Lemar is the only hot LW in the market, and his price will be driven up. As for Memphis, although his stats are good, he's still an inconsistent performer. Not to mention that he's got a contract until 2010, and Aulas is known for being a tough negotiator so if Memphis moves, it'll be for a high price as well. I don't know if you actually follow Ligue 1/Monaco, seems like you don't, but Monaco have won all their league games thus far and are 2nd in the league with 12 points only behind PSG on goal difference (PSG +12, Monaco +10). So no, Monaco haven't suffered really from selling many key players as they got sufficient replacements, and now Lemar plays even a bigger role than last season and is up to the task. If something, his price will most likely only soar.
                    pretty clear that where both making speculative arguments so sorry, but if Im giving you Hazard you're going to have to give me Bale. Bale has been speculated to move back to England for the last 2 summers and I don't see Madrid shelling out huge money for Hazard without getting rid of Bale as well. If were really getting picky, show me how Madrid would line up with Ronaldo, Hazard and Asensio all in the side without sacrificing their godmode midfield?

Sterling isn't going to allow himself to be held hostage so city can keep their homegrown quota, this is also a team that can add English squad talents like Ox for any fee. Alexis going on a bossman brings the market down not the other way around. el oh el at Willian and Douglas Costa "not being as good" as Lemar. Both are better than Lemar by pretty much every metric (better production/90in tougher leagues). Lemar is younger and has the potential to get better whereas the other two are finished products more or less. None the less they are options. Persic is another option if we want to get rid of ox since he's playing in the midfield.

while Griezmann and Dybala aren't wingers, neither is James. Teams play with different types of attackers in wing roles (some better than others) depending upon what they ask them to do. None the less, these are higher end options for bigger clubs like Barça (who have been linked with Dybala and Griezmann as well as Di Maria) will go for significant fees that push the market for Lemar down. As for Monaco, last years squad was one of the most open flowing attacking squads in recent Cl history. That type of exposure on such a big stage inflated a lot of the fees they saw for their players. Martial was a better prospect than Mbappé (also a year older) and Mbappé went for 3x the fee, this year was either an anomaly or a rapid exceleration of the inflation of transfer fees. Im going with the former.

Comment

pretty clear that where both making speculative arguments so sorry, but if Im giving you Hazard you're going to have to give me Bale. Bale has been speculated to move back to England for the last 2 summers and I don't see Madrid shelling out huge money for Hazard without getting rid of Bale as well. If were really getting picky, show me how Madrid would line up with Ronaldo, Hazard and Asensio all in the side without sacrificing their godmode midfield?
                      I still don't see how on earth are Hazard and Bale mutually exclusive. But I completely forgot about Asensio. Why don't you see Real spending loads on Hazard without selling Bale? Doesn't make much sense. Real have been linked to Hazard for ages as they've been on the look for a new LW to take over from Ronaldo who's already 32yo, but now with Asensio in the picture I don't really see Real going for Hazard.

Sterling isn't going to allow himself to be held hostage so city can keep their homegrown quota, this is also a team that can add English squad talents like Ox for any fee. Alexis going on a bossman brings the market down not the other way around. el oh el at Willian and Douglas Costa "not being as good" as Lemar. Both are better than Lemar by pretty much every metric (better production/90in tougher leagues). Lemar is younger and has the potential to get better whereas the other two are finished products more or less. None the less they are options. Persic is another option if we want to get rid of ox since he's playing in the midfield.
                      Sure, Sterling can act a bitch like he did before moving from Liverpool, but the fact is that he's got a contract until 2020 and City don't need to sell. And there isn't an abundance of English talent à la Ox available so City do need to keep their homegrowns. How is Alexis moving on a Bosman going to bring the market down? Please explain that. And again, Costa and Willian play on the right, not on the left, and are 5-8 years older than Lemar, so they're not relevant. Not to mention that neither really have much on Lemar. Inter were unwilling to sell Perisic to United for less than €45m, and Perisic is already 28yo.

while Griezmann and Dybala aren't wingers, neither is James. Teams play with different types of attackers in wing roles (some better than others) depending upon what they ask them to do. None the less, these are higher end options for bigger clubs like Barça (who have been linked with Dybala and Griezmann as well as Di Maria) will go for significant fees that push the market for Lemar down. As for Monaco, last years squad was one of the most open flowing attacking squads in recent Cl history. That type of exposure on such a big stage inflated a lot of the fees they saw for their players. Martial was a better prospect than Mbappé (also a year older) and Mbappé went for 3x the fee, this year was either an anomaly or a rapid exceleration of the inflation of transfer fees. Im going with the former.
                      Why did you bring James up all of a sudden? None of the players you mentioned influence Lemar's going price next summer, if any of them even move apart from Mbappé and that doesn't even count really. Arsenal will definitely go back for Lemar, Monaco know that they're in a desperate need for a new LW so they won't sell him for peanuts. Not to mention that Monaco don't need to sell and they know Arsenal have the money. Also, Martial moved for around €60m, and it was widely regarded as an exorbitant fee for a player that wasn't in fact considered to be a better prospect than Mbappé. Many actually questioned if Martial was worth even half his fee at the time.

Comment

I still don't see how on earth are Hazard and Bale mutually exclusive. But I completely forgot about Asensio. Why don't you see Real spending loads on Hazard without selling Bale? Doesn't make much sense. Real have been linked to Hazard for ages as they've been on the look for a new LW to take over from Ronaldo who's already 32yo, but now with Asensio in the picture I don't really see Real going for Hazard.
                        Bale has been the one heavily linked with a move away from Real (to United, or Chelsea) to make room for Hazard.

Sure, Sterling can act a bitch like he did before moving from Liverpool, but the fact is that he's got a contract until 2020 and City don't need to sell. And there isn't an abundance of English talent à la Ox available so City do need to keep their homegrowns. How is Alexis moving on a Bosman going to bring the market down? Please explain that. And again, Costa and Willian play on the right, not on the left, and are 5-8 years older than Lemar, so they're not relevant. Not to mention that neither really have much on Lemar. Inter were unwilling to sell Perisic to United for less than €45m, and Perisic is already 28yo.
                        That wouldn't bode well for Cities project at all and given his fee, he'd probably force the move. City don't need Sterling. They can flip him and bring in Dier or Rose for nothing. There isn't an abundance of English talent capable of starting in a world class side. There is an abundance of above average talent to bring in as squad players without running Sterlings career and cities already flimsy reputation as a club. They are able to attract players because of the Project (goals and trajection of the club) and the money but if players who don't fit are treated like Yaya, they will quickly stop coming.

Both Willian and Costa can play on either side, just like Lemar. Lemar is left footed and if he were to play on the left we'd be talking about him as more of a goal scorer. This would be like Liverpool not going after Salah because Mané played on the right. If they get Lemar he'd be the third option. Because none of the 3 can play up top.

Why did you bring James up all of a sudden? None of the players you mentioned influence Lemar's going price next summer, if any of them even move apart from Mbappé and that doesn't even count really. Arsenal will definitely go back for Lemar, Monaco know that they're in a desperate need for a new LW so they won't sell him for peanuts. Not to mention that Monaco don't need to sell and they know Arsenal have the money. Also, Martial moved for around €60m, and it was widely regarded as an exorbitant fee for a player that wasn't in fact considered to be a better prospect than Mbappé. Many actually questioned if Martial was worth even half his fee at the time.
                        James is exactly why you shouldn't be trying to write off players like Di Maria or Willian/Costa. They're all different types of players who are more or less in the same market. They all hold influence over the market options perceived to be available. If there is even one player who ends up moving to a wide-attacker needy club, it is probably one less club competing for Lemar. Monaco knows they won't be keeping him forever, and if next summer less clubs are calling for Lemar, they will take a similar fee to Bernardo Silvas early in the window. Also important to remember that players cost a premium late in the window because replacements are much harder to come by.

Martial again grades better than Mbappé on a less open/attacking Monaco side. He was a big contributor to a Monaco side making a CL run. He was less "known" and went for a lesser fee. PSG's spending withstood, on a few silly english money moves have people completely sensationalizing the state of the transfer market. Lemars transfer won't end up being a pound higher than £60m

Comment

Bale has been the one heavily linked with a move away from Real (to United, or Chelsea) to make room for Hazard.
                          Never have I read/heard Bale's potentially move being about making room for Hazard. On the contrary, many such reports also speculated how well they'd play together.

That wouldn't bode well for Cities project at all and given his fee, he'd probably force the move. City don't need Sterling. They can flip him and bring in Dier or Rose for nothing. There isn't an abundance of English talent capable of starting in a world class side. There is an abundance of above average talent to bring in as squad players without running Sterlings career and cities already flimsy reputation as a club. They are able to attract players because of the Project (goals and trajection of the club) and the money but if players who don't fit are treated like Yaya, they will quickly stop coming.
                          The best above average English talent already play for Spurs, and those guys won't move for pennies (see Walker's fee). Dier, Rose and co will therefore move for massive fees. And City do need Sterling, but he just has to find his consistency, if that'll ever happen. Thus I don't see City getting of Sterling just yet, unless they offer him in January for Alexis or something.

Both Willian and Costa can play on either side, just like Lemar. Lemar is left footed and if he were to play on the left we'd be talking about him as more of a goal scorer. This would be like Liverpool not going after Salah because Mané played on the right. If they get Lemar he'd be the third option. Because none of the 3 can play up top.
                          Being able to play on either side is not the same as being one of the best on both sides. As LW, Lemar is by far better than Willian and Costa, and both Arsenal and Liverpool are after Lemar exactly because he's a LW. So it's pointless to bring up other names that aren't actually LWs. Liverpool aren't in a dire need anymore, though, as they got Salah, but Arsenal will be desperate come summer again.

James is exactly why you shouldn't be trying to write off players like Di Maria or Willian/Costa. They're all different types of players who are more or less in the same market. They all hold influence over the market options perceived to be available. If there is even one player who ends up moving to a wide-attacker needy club, it is probably one less club competing for Lemar. Monaco knows they won't be keeping him forever, and if next summer less clubs are calling for Lemar, they will take a similar fee to Bernardo Silvas early in the window. Also important to remember that players cost a premium late in the window because replacements are much harder to come by.
                          Like I said, the clubs that are after Lemar are after him because of him being LW. So yeah, James, Willian and Costa are all quite pointless examples.

Martial again grades better than Mbappé on a less open/attacking Monaco side. He was a big contributor to a Monaco side making a CL run. He was less "known" and went for a lesser fee. PSG's spending withstood, on a few silly english money moves have people completely sensationalizing the state of the transfer market. Lemars transfer won't end up being a pound higher than £60m
                          You seem to account only the craziest of transfer fees. Look at the market as a whole, all the fees are crazy now, squad players going easily for more than 20m and transfer fees in general are increasing. None of your arguments have really been logical in my opinion, so guess we'll see how it spins out. But I'd be really surprised if Lemar moved for less than €70m+bonuses unless something drastic happens to him this season (injury or bad season).

Comment

Never have I read/heard Bale's potentially move being about making room for Hazard. On the contrary, many such reports also speculated how well they'd play together.
                            Really?

From Last summer:

Gareth Bale and Eden Hazard could swap Real Madrid Chelsea - ESPN FC

and there are a bunch more from this summer: with Bale leaving to United make room for Mbappe (before he left for PSG) or Hazard.

The best above average English talent already play for Spurs, and those guys won't move for pennies (see Walker's fee). Dier, Rose and co will therefore move for massive fees. And City do need Sterling, but he just has to find his consistency, if that'll ever happen. Thus I don't see City getting of Sterling just yet, unless they offer him in January for Alexis or something.
                            sorry but 50m is not massive for city, its something they've shown a penchant to do quite often these days. Sterlings Englishness is replaceable and they dumb enough to just ruin him to keep a quota. If he is used as a squad player this year he'll want out next summer. I've seen Sane's name floated around here but Sterling is the player far more likely to move out of the crowded attack. Sane was a Pep pick, Sterling came before.

Being able to play on either side is not the same as being one of the best on both sides. As LW, Lemar is by far better than Willian and Costa, and both Arsenal and Liverpool are after Lemar exactly because he's a LW. So it's pointless to bring up other names that aren't actually LWs. Liverpool aren't in a dire need anymore, though, as they got Salah, but Arsenal will be desperate come summer again.
                            once again this isn't true. Costa played predominately under Pep on the LW and he's out performed Lemar by pretty much every metric in a tougher league. Of course, he is older though. Salah has played on the RW for Liverpool so I thought that wasn't the same thing? Liverpool have Mane on the LW so Lemar wouldn't be going there to play there at least not as anything more than a squad player. Arsenal will have a need next summer and I think Sterling could fill it but even if they are desperate, who else will be equally as desperate or have a big enough need to want to spend 70m for Lemar? Liverpool would have done it because they would have gotten a windfall of cash for Coutinho and they'd try and spend the money before hand.

Like I said, the clubs that are after Lemar are after him because of him being LW. So yeah, James, Willian and Costa are all quite pointless examples.

You seem to account only the craziest of transfer fees. Look at the market as a whole, all the fees are crazy now, squad players going easily for more than 20m and transfer fees in general are increasing. None of your arguments have really been logical in my opinion, so guess we'll see how it spins out. But I'd be really surprised if Lemar moved for less than €70m+bonuses unless something drastic happens to him this season (injury or bad season).
                            No there are plenty of reasonable deals if you chose to ignore the craziest of fees like you are doing. English squad players go for more than 20m, great talents still go for not much more. If you remove the Neymar+Mbappe+Dembélé transfers most of the money spent has been in line with what we've seen from previous years in growth. Arsenal just broke a record fee to get Lacazette, after getting nothing for Sanchez, there is no shot they suddenly decide to blow that out of the water for Thomas Lemar. The only bet for him getting a fee of more than €60m is a club like United sneaking in after he has an even better year than he did last year.

Comment

• Ideal next summer window for me would be Goretzka, Martial, Werner.

Comment

Really?

From Last summer:

Gareth Bale and Eden Hazard could swap Real Madrid Chelsea - ESPN FC

and there are a bunch more from this summer: with Bale leaving to United make room for Mbappe (before he left for PSG) or Hazard.
                                I don't follow American media. Don't remember seeing that mentioned in European media (doesn't necessarily mean it's the case).

sorry but 50m is not massive for city, its something they've shown a penchant to do quite often these days. Sterlings Englishness is replaceable and they dumb enough to just ruin him to keep a quota. If he is used as a squad player this year he'll want out next summer. I've seen Sane's name floated around here but Sterling is the player far more likely to move out of the crowded attack. Sane was a Pep pick, Sterling came before.
                                Whether 50m is or isn't massive for City is completely besides the point. If a club can pay, say, 150m for a player who isn't worth it, it doesn't mean they should pay that just because they can. Sterling is still young, so I don't see City ousting him unless they get something in return (Alexis or another homegrown player of at least same level). I think Sterling is more likely stay, though.

once again this isn't true. Costa played predominately under Pep on the LW and he's out performed Lemar by pretty much every metric in a tougher league. Of course, he is older though. Salah has played on the RW for Liverpool so I thought that wasn't the same thing? Liverpool have Mane on the LW so Lemar wouldn't be going there to play there at least not as anything more than a squad player. Arsenal will have a need next summer and I think Sterling could fill it but even if they are desperate, who else will be equally as desperate or have a big enough need to want to spend 70m for Lemar? Liverpool would have done it because they would have gotten a windfall of cash for Coutinho and they'd try and spend the money before hand.
                                Yes, Costa played mostly LW under Pep, and was he good? No, not really, not even close I'd say. Prior to joining Bayern, Costa made his name as RW. Pep also switched Coman to the other wing. Costa is not a player who can play LW on the level of Lemar, not to mention that Costa in general isn't a player on the same level as the French. Not really sure what you mean by bringing up Salah, but he's a RW who has only played a handful of games on the left. Mané, on the other hand, played mostly on the left wing prior to joining Southampton, and this season Klopp put him back to his original position on the left. And he's been brilliant. Mané is one of the few wingers who are genuinely brilliant on both wings. Costa isn't, nor is Willian, nor any of the others you've mentioned really. Which is exactly my point, has been from the very beginning, that for clubs looking for a LW, the primary options are Alexis and Lemar, that's it.

No there are plenty of reasonable deals if you chose to ignore the craziest of fees like you are doing. English squad players go for more than 20m, great talents still go for not much more. If you remove the Neymar+Mbappe+Dembélé transfers most of the money spent has been in line with what we've seen from previous years in growth. Arsenal just broke a record fee to get Lacazette, after getting nothing for Sanchez, there is no shot they suddenly decide to blow that out of the water for Thomas Lemar. The only bet for him getting a fee of more than €60m is a club like United sneaking in after he has an even better year than he did last year.
                                Actually I'm not ignoring any transfer fees. British players have for years now been moving for ridiculous fees given their level and role. There are only a couple of clubs that are good at finding good talent for lower prices (Dortmund, for example). Don't really understand what you're trying to illustrate by bringing up Lacazette, but they were willing to eclipse Lacazette's transfer fee for Lemar. Monaco have set their asking price for a lot higher than the 60m you're talking about, and I don't see them budge.

We're way off topic here, so if you want to reply, feel free to move this to a more appropriate thread.
                                Last edited by micky; 06-09-2017, 19:24.

Comment

Working...
                                X