Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's Football

International, Club and Youth football

France has been sublime in the Under 20 World Cup so far. Claire Lavogez scored a beauty in their opening match versus Costa Rica. She is the joint top scorer currently.

Comment

I really tried to like women's football during the WC in Germany. However I failed miserably, it's simply a completely different sport when played by 11 women on a normal-sized pitch. Almost every aspect of the game I love is not there in women's football.

Comment

Originally posted by Bazi View Post
        I really tried to like women's football during the WC in Germany. However I failed miserably, it's simply a completely different sport when played by 11 women on a normal-sized pitch. Almost every aspect of the game I love is not there in women's football.
        I understand what you mean, but I look at it this way: Combine women and football, the two greatest things in the universe, and I just have to love it!

On a serious note, I just really enjoy it. I don't know what's wrong with me... It must be a part of my addiction.

Comment

Sounds like a personal problem, not one with the game. I'm still convinced that Japan's 2011 WC midfield was one of the best the game has ever seen.

Spoiler
          ps: as the only thing that is technically missing is dick, I have to wonder why you watch soccer
          Spoiler
          a friendly joke, of course

Comment

I'll agree completely. There is just such a difference, it's the same with women's handball in my opinion, they play the same game but it's nothing like when the men is doing it.

I'll never be a fan i'm afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by p4vo View Post
              I'll agree completely. There is just such a difference, it's the same with women's handball in my opinion, they play the same game but it's nothing like when the men is doing it.

I'll never be a fan i'm afraid.
              On a physical level, it will never be on par with men's football. However, the quality has risen so quickly in the last couple of years I can bet that it will attract more fans along the way. I used to remember watching youth football a couple of years ago where some teams were struggling string together a couple of passes. How things have changed when you see the skill of some young women today... To be honest, I'd only seriously watch a match if it were Germany, France, Holland or a final playing. The more popular it gets, the more money will be invested and thus more career opportunities for female players seeing it as a serious line of work. This will all lead to a rise in the quality of the football.

Comment

Germany facing Brazil later today and I hope to see another 7-1!

Comment

So Germany had a fantastic second half against Brazil and won 5-1. Close enough!

Brazil were very good in the first half and had some great build up plays, although the goal was rather fortunate.
                  Pauline Bremer hit her penalty against the post at the end of the first half... I knew Daebritz should have taken it, but okay. Thus, going into half time 1-0 behind made things very tense as Brazil needed to win by two goals to progress.

In the second half Germany were flawless and their forward line hustled the Brazilian defenders left and right. Bremer made up for her penalty miss by getting around the goalkeeper TWICE and scoring 2 nice goals. Sara Daebrtiz scored a hat trick and I must confess: I really love this girl! What a player!!!

USA won their match versus China 3-0 and progress to the quarter finals as runners up to Germany.

Comment

As expected...

Comment

The senior women's world cup is also in Canada next year. I should volunteer or go to some games or something.

Comment

France dominated their final match yet again and won 3-0 against Paraguay. Claire Lavogez only came on with 20 minutes to go and almost scored a goal.

Nigeria beat England 2-1. I really liked the way Nigeria's players were singing and dancing in the tunnel before entering the pitch.

South Korea beat Mexico 2-1 and qualify as runners up.

New Zealand beat Costa Rica 2-0 and I believe this is their first time in the quarter finals.

Fixtures for quarter finals:
                        Korea DPR vs. USA
                        Germany vs. Canada
                        Nigeria vs. New Zealand
                        France vs. Korea Republic

Comment

Quarter final results:

*Korea DPR 1-1 USA (Korea DPR won 3-1 on penalties)
                          Germany 2-0 Canada
                          Nigeria 4-1 New Zealand
                          *France 0-0 Korea Republic (France won 4-3 on penalties)

Semi final fixtures:

Korea DPR - Nigeria
                          Germany - France

Comment

Germany has beaten France 2:1 to reach the final...they will face Nigeria

Comment

Originally posted by dips82 View Post
                              Germany has beaten France 2:1 to reach the final...they will face Nigeria
                              Let's hope they get the abbreviations right this time. They might not be the best two countries to line up on a scoreboard, if you know what I mean.

(Don't make me spell it out, but it's happened before and I believe that Nigeria's NIG was changed to NGA as a result of that faux pas)

Comment

Working...
                              X