Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Masked Ballack proves Leverkusen hero

"It certainly wasn't a match like any other," Michael Ballack told UEFA.com after inspiring Bayer 04 Leverkusen to a dramatic victory against his old club Chelsea FC and a last 16 place.

When Michael Ballack returned to Bayer 04 Leverkusen in summer 2010 after a successful spell with Chelsea FC, the all-action midfielder was expected to be riding off into the sunset of retirement sooner or later.

But while the 35-year-old declared last week that he anticipated this season being his last at Leverkusen, his swansong with the Bundesliga club where he forged his reputation may yet provide more than a footnote in his illustrious career. Chelsea will be as aware as anyone that Ballack still has much to offer after their former team-mate turned adversary inspired Leverkusen to a thrilling 2-1 home win that took the German side into the knockout stages and left the English visitors as blue as their shirts.

"We're delighted to be in the next round, though it's always a little lucky when you score in the last minute," Ballack told UEFA.com after seeing Manuel Friedrich head an added-time winner to cap a spirited Group E comeback started by Eren Derdiyok's 73rd-minute equaliser. "I think we kept faith. It was a bitterly contested game. Normally when you go 1-0 down to Chelsea, it's very difficult to win, but we did it."

After Didier Drogba had used muscle and guile to turn Friedrich before firing Chelsea into a 48th-minute lead that would have taken them through, only Petr Čech prevented Ballack single-handedly hauling Leverkusen back into the match. With both him and Čech wearing protective masks, the pair resembled comic-book heroes, and the duo were as dynamic as each other as they went face-to-face twice in the space of an intense second-half minute.

"I was a little unlucky, Petr made two great saves," said the former Germany captain after the Czech goalkeeper first tipped an overhead kick to safety, then bravely blocked a point-blank strike to deny the Leverkusen midfielder a goal in a game brimful of personal significance.

"It certainly wasn't a match like any other, and it wasn't in the first game we played against them either. But in my 100th European game, I'm happy to have come out with a win. It's great that it's come against Chelsea, but I still hope they go through."

While Chelsea's future in the competition will be on the line when they host Valencia CF in their final group fixture on 6 December with victory vital, Leverkusen go to eliminated KRC Genk knowing three points in Belgium will send them into the round of 16 draw as Group E winners.

"We want to be first in the group – that's our goal, so that we play against a group runner-up. That would perhaps be easier," said Ballack, who now wants his colleagues to use the confidence borne of a hat-trick of home victories in Europe to improve their fortunes in the Bundesliga. "I think we simply need to have more faith in ourselves. We have a great team and sometimes we sell ourselves short, it's as simple as that."

Masked Ballack proves Leverkusen hero ? UEFA.com

Comment

• Originally posted by FCB_VorAllem View Post
      'Jewel' Wollscheid to join Leverkusen

Bayer 04 Leverkusen have made early preparations for next season by securing the services of 1. FC Nürnberg's 22-year-old defender Philipp Wollscheid from summer 2012.

Bayer 04 Leverkusen have bolstered their defence for the 2012/13 campaign by securing a pre-contract agreement with 1. FC Nürnberg for the services of centre-back Philipp Wollscheid.

The 22-year-old, who moved to Nurnberg from 1. FC Saarbrücken in 2009, will join Leverkusen next summer on a five-year deal. "We are convinced we have signed one of the most talented central defenders in Germany," said Bayer general manager Wolfgang Holzhäuser.

"We are pleased to have signed a jewel like Philipp. I am confident he will continue his impressive development at Leverkusen. We have a good history of announcing transfers early with Stefan Kiessling and André Schürrle." No fee has been disclosed.

Leverkusen booked a UEFA Champions League round of 16 berth with a 2-1 win against Chelsea FC on Wednesday. They will be guaranteed to finish top of Group E with victory at bottom-placed KRC Genk on 6 December.

'Jewel' Wollscheid to join Leverkusen ? UEFA.com
      Interesting..

Comment

• Nurnberg's Dieter Hecking: Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund also wanted Philipp Wollscheid

The coach of the Bundesliga strugglers says he told the defender to join the BayArena side as he would find playing opportunities somewhat limited in the other clubs

The 22-year-old centre-back has agreed to join Leverkusen at the end of the season after Nurnberg accepted an offer believed to be in the region of €6 million.

Despite interest from the Bavarian giants and the reigning Bundesliga champions in Wollscheid, Hecking admitted that he advised the player to choose the BayArena team as it would be the best move for his career.

"Of course I was not happy [with interest in Wollscheid]," Hecking told Express. "But he came to me and was very honest.

"He asked me what he should do, because Bayern, Dortmund and Leverkusen wanted him.

"I advised him to join Leverkusen, because at Bayern or Dortmund, where there are defenders like Neven Subotic and Mats Hummels, his prospects of playing would be worse."

After watching Ilkay Gundogan leave for Dortmund in the summer, Hecking admitted his side are powerless to prevent their prized assets from leaving.

"If a player wants to leave, as a club you need to make the most out of the situation," he continued. "And we have done this.

"At first, it was good that Philipp decided to extend his contract. The transfer fee was now different as a result.

"I agreed to the transfer because the player wanted a change and we will use part of the transfer fee."
        Nurnberg's Dieter Hecking: Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund also wanted Philipp Wollscheid - Goal.com

Comment

• Bastards poached him!

Oh well, I wish him nothing but the best of luck. I hope he turns into yet another of our ridiculously talented NT CBs. I can see it now - Badstuber, Boateng, Howedes, Hummels, Mertesacker, and... WOLLSCHEID!

Maybe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grey View Post
            Bastards poached him!

Oh well, I wish him nothing but the best of luck. I hope he turns into yet another of our ridiculously talented NT CBs. I can see it now - Badstuber, Boateng, Howedes, Hummels, Mertesacker, and... WOLLSCHEID!

Maybe.
            ... and just to think, Germany lacked good CBs for so long. Gone are the days of Madlung, M. Friedrich, Woerns etc. Exciting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evil Sushi View Post
              ... and just to think, Germany lacked good CBs for so long. Gone are the days of Madlung, M. Friedrich, Woerns etc. Exciting.
              .... Jogi must have a hard time picking the starting XI...

Comment

Off topic but I actually liked Christian. I did pity him in the 98 Wc when he got sent off.

You remember Nowotny? Now thats an unlucky player.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snake View Post
                  Off topic but I actually liked Christian. I did pity him in the 98 Wc when he got sent off.

You remember Nowotny? Now thats an unlucky player.

Because of the lack of talent Germany had to rely on Woerns longer than appropriate, hence the inclusion of him in the "dark times" which I suppose also tarnished his career.

Yes I remember Nowotny, extremely unlucky, I remember always getting disappointed by news of further injury.

Speaking of ex Bayer players, what do you think of Carsten Ramelow? He looked so uncoordinated when he had the ball at his feet, I would get heart palpitations whenever he was near goal.
                  He reminds me a lot of Tymoschuk, underrated and looks a little untalented but in reality very valuable defensively.

Comment

Because of the lack of talent Germany had to rely on Woerns longer than appropriate, hence the inclusion of him in the "dark times" which I suppose also tarnished his career.

Yes I remember Nowotny, extremely unlucky, I remember always getting disappointed by news of further injury.

Speaking of ex Bayer players, what do you think of Carsten Ramelow? He looked so uncoordinated when he had the ball at his feet, I would get heart palpitations whenever he was near goal.
                    He reminds me a lot of Tymoschuk, underrated and looks a little untalented but in reality very valuable defensively.
                    He was very good defencively (Ramalow) and was a also very good on WC 2002!

But, Nowotny was a pure class! Pitty!

Comment

Agreed, every single word you said.
                      Both of you.

Comment

• Leverkusen sign Bernd Leno for good. Contract till 2017
                        Hes only 19!

Comment

• Any thoughts on what Adler will do?

Injuries really fucked him up. First the NT with Neuer and then Leno on Leverkusen.

I think the only place he could go, within Germany, is Dortmund. As a replacement to Weidenfeller perhaps?

Comment

• Weidenfeller is pretty good, i doubt BVB wanna get rid of him. it's really sad with Adler really, i always thought he was the more talented between him and Neuer.

Comment

• What a bad luck for Adler.
                              I'm sure that Arsenal would consider him, or any EPL Top team.

Adler is good enough for any team in the world

Comment

• Michael Ballack's Agent: Major League Soccer is a possibility for the Bayer Leverkusen midfielder - Goal.com
                                Please come to Galaxy Mr. Ballack

Comment

Working...
                                X