X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leno is not that good, Trapp is much better IMO

Comment

• Originally posted by Luftstalag14 View Post
      MARCA says Real Madrid is interested in signing Leno this summer for 20m euros.

Damn it.

Spending € 20M on Leno is a great deal for Leverkusen and a bad one for Real Madrid as far as I'm concerned. I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, but in my view Leno is overrated due to his flashy style, but lacks consistency in basic areas of goalkeeping.

Leverkusen could easily pursue Köln's Timo Horn or Frankfurt's Kevin Trapp for a third of that transfer fee without losing any quality in the squad. In fact, they might even improve with them.

Comment

• If Leno went to Real Madrid that would mean that 3 of the biggest clubs in the world had German goalkeepers. That would be epic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bazi View Post
          Spending € 20M on Leno is a great deal for Leverkusen and a bad one for Real Madrid as far as I'm concerned. I know I'm in the minority with this opinion, but in my view Leno is overrated due to his flashy style, but lacks consistency in basic areas of goalkeeping.

Leverkusen could easily pursue Köln's Timo Horn or Frankfurt's Kevin Trapp for a third of that transfer fee without losing any quality in the squad. In fact, they might even improve with them.
          Bazi, could you please elaborate?

Comment

Bazi, could you please elaborate?
            Two of his biggest weaknesses are his sub-par reactions to mid- to long-range shots and his bad timing when leaving the penalty box.

He's a typical case of a young goalkeeper who admired Manuel Neuer during the WC, but simply doesn't have his timing and decisiveness to pull the sweeper role off. This season there've been at least half a dozen occasions where Leno was either too late to intercept the ball when he left the penalty box or he played a horrible pass as a result of bad timing. I haven't seen all of Leverkusen's Bundesliga matches so there might have even been more than that.

He's also susceptible to letting an occasional long-range shot slip through his fingers.. In general he's decent in the air, but we've also seen blunders where he only half-heartedly got a touch on the ball.

What really makes Leno popular are his very good reflexes on the line in combiantion with his insane abilities as a penalty-stopper. He's by far the best in the league and certainly one of the best in the world in that regard.

However he really wouldn't be my first choice when it comes to signing a reliable top-class goalkeeper. I also don't think his ceiling is as high as ter Stegen's and even he's struggling at Barcelona.

Comment

• Leno is kind of shit. Would be a good transfer as Bazi says.

Comment

Two of his biggest weaknesses are his sub-par reactions to mid- to long-range shots and his bad timing when leaving the penalty box.

He's a typical case of a young goalkeeper who admired Manuel Neuer during the WC, but simply doesn't have his timing and decisiveness to pull the sweeper role off. This season there've been at least half a dozen occasions where Leno was either too late to intercept the ball when he left the penalty box or he played a horrible pass as a result of bad timing. I haven't seen all of Leverkusen's Bundesliga matches so there might have even been more than that.

He's also susceptible to letting an occasional long-range shot slip through his fingers.. In general he's decent in the air, but we've also seen blunders where he only half-heartedly got a touch on the ball.

What really makes Leno popular are his very good reflexes on the line in combiantion with his insane abilities as a penalty-stopper. He's by far the best in the league and certainly one of the best in the world in that regard.

However he really wouldn't be my first choice when it comes to signing a reliable top-class goalkeeper. I also don't think his ceiling is as high as ter Stegen's and even he's struggling at Barcelona.
                Thanks Bazi. Well, in his defense, Leno is only 23 and he can certainly improve on many aspects of his game as time goes on. Our MAtS has his weaknesses as well.

And I don't think Ter Stegen is struggling at all. If you are referring to the fact that Barvo is still in the starting GK for La Liga games, it is clearly Ter Stegen is the future of the club for many, many years to come.

I am just sour to see that Real Madrid is grabbing a young, promising goalkeeper.

Comment

Thanks Bazi. Well, in his defense, Leno is only 23 and he can certainly improve on many aspects of his game as time goes on. Our MAtS has his weaknesses as well.

And I don't think Ter Stegen is struggling at all. If you are referring to the fact that Barvo is still in the starting GK for La Liga games, it is clearly Ter Stegen is the future of the club for many, many years to come.

I am just sour to see that Real Madrid is grabbing a young, promising goalkeeper.

Good to hear ter Stegen is doing well and is rated at Barca. He's in my view the only other German goalkeeper with the potential to come close to Manuel Neuer's level.

It would be quite hilarious if Real signed Leno though. He and ter Stegen despise each other, if reports from the German U21 are to be believed.

Still, I believe a possible transfer of David de Gea to Real Madrid should be of greater concern to Barcelona and any other European competitor.

Comment

Good to hear ter Stegen is doing well and is rated at Barca. He's in my view the only other German goalkeeper with the potential to come close to Manuel Neuer's level.

It would be quite hilarious if Real signed Leno though. He and ter Stegen despise each other, if reports from the German U21 are to be believed.

Still, I believe a possible transfer of David de Gea to Real Madrid should be of greater concern to Barcelona and any other European competitor.
                    Really? I wonder why... Too competitive the two?

I don't know about De Gea, personally I think he is overrated.

And yes, Barca fans loooooooove Ter Stegen, especially his ball distribution.

Comment

• Leno's always impressed me.

Comment

• Originally posted by BayRan View Post
                        Leno's always impressed me.
                        Me too. In fact, it's always been Ter Stegen who I felt has been greatly overrated. He's the king of spilling balls and letting in embarrassing own goals. Seriously, he's made the same laughable own goal three times now. Not that Ter Stegen isn't quality or anything, but the idea that Leno is awful and Ter Stegen is awesome doesn't seem to be based on much fact.

Personally, I'm a much bigger fan of Trapp, although he's sort of disappeared off the radar recently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Grey View Post
                          Me too. In fact, it's always been Ter Stegen who I felt has been vastly overrated. He's the king of spilling balls and letting in embarrassing own goals. Seriously, he's made the same laughable own goal three times now. Not that Ter Stegen isn't quality or anything, but the idea that Leno is awful and Ter Stegen is awesome doesn't seem to be based on much fact.

Personally, I'm a much bigger fan of Trapp, although he's sort of disappeared off the radar recently.
                          Sure, the one that struck my mind was that own goal allowed against the Americans in Washington DC couple of years ago.

That said, I remember Neuer had his fair share of gaffes. Our very own Valdes too. MAtS allowed three goals today before making two really nice saves, all of which could have been saved, one could argue. He will get better, I am confident.

Comment

Sure, the one that struck my mind was that own goal allowed against the Americans in Washington DC couple of years ago.

That said, I remember Neuer had his fair share of gaffes. Our very own Valdes too. MAtS allowed three goals today before making two really nice saves, all of which could have been saved, one could argue. He will get better, I am confident.
                            Neuer has had some gaffs but never anything even 10% as bad as what we're talking about. Ter Stegen's mistakes have been something out of a match between 5 year-olds. The worst mistake Neuer ever made (I'll defend this if you want since there are about 10 mistakes in total that are worth even discussing) was the pass to Reus in his second game against Gladbach in the 2011-12 season, right after Neuer arrived to Bayern. That was a medium/long-range range shot that Neuer mishit into a perfect pass right at Reus's feet.

As far as Ter Stegen goes, he's obviously a great keeper (objectively speaking) and I think in time he'll get even better, but it's going to take a long time for me to get over how radically stupid his mistakes have been in the past. What he really needs to work on is his confidence. He obviously has the skill, it's now a matter of doing it consistently and not loosing his cool. If he keeps that up he could easily be Neuer level, but again I have some doubts as to whether he'll be able to do that fully.

I mean seriously, look at this.

And didn't he just make a spectacular gaff at Barca a little while ago?

Talent be damned, that's just straight up terrifying. If I were a CB I could never trust him. Thank god I'm just a dumb armchair observer
                            Last edited by Grey; 31-03-2015, 01:51.

Comment

• Comment

• good riddance.. small minded peasant
                                Last edited by Alex; 12-04-2015, 18:51.

Comment

Working...
                                X