This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Van Gaal's revolutionary ideas for football

Louis van Gaal: 'Gladiatorial' extra-time instead of penalties!

Louis van Gaal wants a football revolution, with penalties replaced by gladiatorial-style extra-time!

The Bayern Munich coach has suggested taking a man off from each side every five minutes during an extra period as an alternative to the lottery of a penalty shoot-out.

Van Gaal (58) told German magazine 'Kicker' how he thinks the game should be changed for the better:

No more penalties to decide games: The Dutchman said that deciding a game through penalties is too random: “I’m for the gladiatorial game!

"If extra-time is required following a draw, it should consist of two 15-minute periods with each team losing a man every five minutes. After 95 minutes ten would play against ten, after 100 minutes nine on nine. From the 115th minute it would only be six on six.

"Then only the best team would secure the win – and not just a single player through a penalty.”

If there is still no result after 120 minutes, a golden goal would decide the game.

Computer technology should decide important situations: “It is important that no more is decided by people. I want only technology to decide. The technology is impartial and objective.”

Van Gaal would like an electronic chip to be placed in the ball to register if it has crossed a line.

But FIFA has just rejected this technical innovation, an incomprehensible decision for van Gaal: “It is nonsense that we don’t use that.”

Abolish the throw-in: “It has to be a 'kick-in'. That is better because then the defending team won’t simply kick the ball out.

"With a 'kick-in' we can change the game – that is also more attractive.”

Two referees and a TV official instead of linesmen: "We need two referees, as in basketball or ice hockey, one in each half, positioned diagonally.

"They would then be directly by the ball and able to see the backs of the players. They would be joined by a third ref, who would watch the game on computer.

"It doesn’t matter where the computer expert would sit, whether at the edge of the field or up in the stand.”

Louis van Gaal has some revolutionary ideas – but it is not very likely football will take them onboard!
    Bayern coach revolution - Louis van Gaal Gladiatorial extra-time not penalties - News - Bild.de

Do you want to take the offside rule off Mr. Gaal?

Comment

He has some good points. I really like the chip in the ball idea. Just pop a small 'rice' sized chip down the air hole of a ball and put a couple of detectors on the goal posts... problem solved.
      Not so sure I like the 'kick in' or the 'gladiatoral' style he was talking about. I mean those rules were put in place a long time ago. If you dont like them maybe you should create another sport. I wish golf would become a full contact sport... I mean it would be interesting to play and watch but I dont think thats going to happen... EVER!

Comment

Nothing revolutionary about that idea.. Van Basten came up with that 8 years ago and so did al lot of others.... Van Gaal has a big mouth because he is winning...

Comment

Originally posted by Tomas View Post
          He has some good points. I really like the chip in the ball idea. Just pop a small 'rice' sized chip down the air hole of a ball and put a couple of detectors on the goal posts... problem solved.
          Originally posted by Tomas View Post
          Not so sure I like the 'kick in' or the 'gladiatoral' style he was talking about. I mean those rules were put in place a long time ago. If you dont like them maybe you should create another sport. I wish golf would become a full contact sport... I mean it would be interesting to play and watch but I dont think thats going to happen... EVER!
          And the same for offside when all players have a chip in their boots...

Comment

Originally posted by Nostradamus View Post
            [B]

I thought you were going to say when all the players have a chip up their ass

ps. on the above question to van Gaal I wanted to add ALSO in the sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Scooter View Post
              I thought you were going to say when all the players have a chip up their ass

ps. on the above question to van Gaal I wanted to add ALSO in the sentence.
              I don't like to say it but the Bundesliga is now what our Holland division was 20 years ago... It's good but not the best... I mean you can compete but that's it!

Comment

Originally posted by Nostradamus View Post
                [B]

That wouldnt work since officials dont look at the boots they look at where the body is. If your boot is ahead of a player and your body is behind your not getting called offsides.

Comment

Working...
                X