Go Back   BayernZone - FC Bayern München Forum > Football talk > European Football

Old 11-05-2019, 13:47   #1411
EM1R
𝓜𝓲𝓪 𝓢𝓪𝓷 𝓜𝓲𝓪

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavros View Post
Νο, it didn't.
The point though is that if VAR existed in 2014-15-16-17-18, no Spanish team should have won it!
I don't remember any controversial decisions in Barcelona's favour in 14/15 CL winning season though
BZ Squad member21
Old 11-05-2019, 15:47   #1412
MihailT
BZ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1R View Post
I don't remember any controversial decisions in Barcelona's favour in 14/15 CL winning season though
Neymar blatant dive for a penalty, while already on a yellow card, 1 minute before they scored for 1:0 at the Nou Camp.
The above post is liked by:
St3ph3n (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 15:48   #1413
St3ph3n
BZ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MihailT View Post
Neymar blatant dive for a penalty, while already on a yellow card, 1 minute before they scored for 1:0 at the Nou Camp.
Indeed. Rules are clear on that. Simulation and you as ref whistle = Yellow. And red in his case.
Old 11-05-2019, 20:26   #1414
misafeco
We Win As A Team

Quote:
VAR will not help the ref in that situation, because the call (no penalty) was right.
Old 11-05-2019, 21:47   #1415
MihailT
BZ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misafeco View Post
VAR will not help the ref in that situation, because the call (no penalty) was right.
Sure, but he wasn't brought down with a clean contact, he dived with no contact at all if I remember correctly. Hence, the referee would have been obligated to show him a second yellow, no?
Old 11-05-2019, 22:00   #1416
Grey
Free Cascadia

Quote:
Sure, but he wasn't brought down with a clean contact, he dived with no contact at all if I remember correctly. Hence, the referee would have been obligated to show him a second yellow, no?
No, this is a common misunderstanding that presumes only two possible options. A ref will issue a card if they are certain that there was a dive. A ref will also issue a card of they were certain there was a foul. The absence of one does not require the presence of the other, because there is a range of situations in which neither can be known for certain. A ref can be certain that an action was not a foul without being certain that it was a dive.
BZ Staff Member BZ Squad member10
The above post is liked by:
misafeco (11-05-2019)
Old 11-05-2019, 22:03   #1417
misafeco
We Win As A Team

Quote:
So this is the rule:
There are 4 types of calls that can be reviewed.

-Goals and whether there was a violation during each episode of the attacking phase of play, such as an offside or a foul
-Penalty decisions (other fouls are not reviewable, except below)
-Direct red card decisions (second yellow cards are not reviewable)
Mistaken identity in awarding a red or yellow card

The penalty decision was correct = no penalty
AND
It would've been a second yellow card if called. I haven't seen a straight red for a dive in my life.
Old 11-05-2019, 22:41   #1418
MihailT
BZ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by misafeco View Post
So this is the rule:
There are 4 types of calls that can be reviewed.

-Goals and whether there was a violation during each episode of the attacking phase of play, such as an offside or a foul
-Penalty decisions (other fouls are not reviewable, except below)
-Direct red card decisions (second yellow cards are not reviewable)
Mistaken identity in awarding a red or yellow card

The penalty decision was correct = no penalty
AND
It would've been a second yellow card if called. I haven't seen a straight red for a dive in my life.
Right, and Neymar was already on a yellow card at that point of the game. Anyways, no use debating too much over this as it's long gone, my point was to show that there was at least some controversy even in Barcelona's treble of 2015. There was also a debatable situation in the final when Pogba was brought down in the penalty area at 1:1 and in the resulting counter-attack Barcelona scored for 2:1.

In any case, I don't think the presence of VAR is to blame for this season's traditional powerhouses' downfall. Us, Real, Barcelona and Juventus were simply weak.

What interests me is the tendencies of teams during the past two or three years to throw away comfortable leads. There's a reason it was assumed that 3:0 and 4:0 leads at home were practically insurmountable. And a 2:0 lead was usually enough to see the tie through in the past. Do you think players have become too pampered and weak mentally nowadays and collapse easily once a game does not start in their favour? It's gotta be either that or downright match fixing...
Old 13-05-2019, 21:12   #1419
misafeco
We Win As A Team

Quote:
Right, and Neymar was already on a yellow card at that point of the game. Anyways, no use debating too much over this as it's long gone, my point was to show that there was at least some controversy even in Barcelona's treble of 2015. There was also a debatable situation in the final when Pogba was brought down in the penalty area at 1:1 and in the resulting counter-attack Barcelona scored for 2:1.

In any case, I don't think the presence of VAR is to blame for this season's traditional powerhouses' downfall. Us, Real, Barcelona and Juventus were simply weak.

What interests me is the tendencies of teams during the past two or three years to throw away comfortable leads. There's a reason it was assumed that 3:0 and 4:0 leads at home were practically insurmountable. And a 2:0 lead was usually enough to see the tie through in the past. Do you think players have become too pampered and weak mentally nowadays and collapse easily once a game does not start in their favour? It's gotta be either that or downright match fixing...
I agree with that. There were also some controversy in our CL victory in 2013. There is no perfect refereeing with or without VAR. I'm not even sure there is an objective truth to some of the most debated situations. How many calls could've gone another way and people would be still complaining.

I also think the super comebacks are weird. Football was always full of drama, but never in this level. Maybe the sport became so fast that it's much harder to defend against a fully attacking team. Some miracles like Barca vs. PSG were just because of bad referee decisions.