Go Back   BayernZone - FC Bayern München Forum > Football talk > International Competitions

Old 16-12-2012, 09:59   #1
Sydney
BZ Member

Which other football club(s) are you following/supporting?

I am assuming that only very few of us are lucky enough to see FCB actually play in the Allianz Arena, and am also assuming that some of us are getting their kicks by watching local teams closer to home. I am interested in who it is that you are following and supporting.

I for my part am supporting the "Western Sydney Wanderers". The club was only formed in April this year, and is playing its first season in the A-League. As the Wanderers' home ground in Parramatta (21,500 capacity) is only 10 kms away from where I live, I now use the opportunity to regularly watch first division football down under. The quality of the football is probably equivalent to 2nd division in Germany. Not crash hot, but quite watchable. The game is robust and physical. Diving and similar antics are frowned upon. The Wanderers attract crowds between 7000 and 9000 which is quite all right for Australian standards. The supporter base is a representation of the ethnically diverse mix of people living in Sydney's West. Think ex Yugoslavs, Greeks, Italians, Africans, Lebanese, Maltese, Asians, etc and "white" Aussies sitting peacefully next each other.
Western Sydney Wanderers FC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Across town, on the other side of the harbour is the home of the established Sydney FC which plays in the beautiful Allianz Stadium (capacity 45,500). The suburbs there are more upmarket and posh, and so are the supporters, arguably. The club has a reputation of being the top address in Australian club football, and somehow managed to sign Alessandro Del Pierro from Juve three months ago. They also have a reputation of being Australia's version of "FC Hollywood", and, despite Del Piero, have all sorts of problem on an off the pitch. We are only in match day 11, and they have their third coach already.

A couple of months back Sydney FC travelled to Sydney's west and played the first Sydney derby in front of 19,000 spectators, and I watched Del Piero making the difference in a noisy match.
Blues win inaugural Sydney derby | A-League | Fox Sports

Last night saw the second Sydney derby, this time at Allianz Stadium in front of 26,000 very vocal and enthusiastic spectators, me being one of them. To my delight the Wanderers were well on top of Sydney FC and won this away match 2:0. Think St. Pauli winning at HSV, or Union Berlin at Hertha, or (God forbid) Nuremberg in Munich.
Wanderers exact derby revenge | A-League | Fox Sports

The highlights don't do the game any justice. Rest assured it was a rousing night of football, and it was hands down the best game of club football that I've seen here. Next to me sat a Tottenham supporter, and even though he watched the contest through Premier League glasses, he actually saw "a really good game".

No doubt it is the post-match excitement which motivated me to open up this threat. Nevertheless, I am hoping that some of you found these lines interesting enough. There you go then. Looking forward to hearing from others.
Old 16-12-2012, 12:10   #2
Evil Sushi
Look into my eyes

I don't support any other football club. I guess if I'm in Japan, I sort of keep an eye out for Shimizu S-Pulse but that's for family reasons.

Anyways Sydney, what were your reasons for deciding to support Western Sydney Wanderers? Did you not support an Australian team prior to their establishment?
Old 16-12-2012, 13:06   #3
Sydney
BZ Member

Quote:
Anyways Sydney, what were your reasons for deciding to support Western Sydney Wanderers?
The atmosphere. The people are very excited about their team, and exciting in their way of support. It came quite as a surprise to me how I got sucked in as quickly as I did.

Quote:
Did you not support an Australian team prior to their establishment?
Only the Australian National Team, the "Socceroos". Most people here only cared about Rugby League, Rugby Union, Australian Rules Football (all played with an oval shape ball), and Cricket (a bit like Baseball, I guess, and boring as batsh1t). They Socceroos won whole nation over when they qualified for the 2006 WC by eliminating Uruguay in a penalty shoot out back in 2005, in front of a sell out crowd of more than 80,000. It was the wake up call for football here. A night that I will never forget.
Australia vs Uruguay WCQ Penalty Shootout - YouTube
Old 16-12-2012, 20:00   #4
Filo
BZ Member

I like Atletico Nacional from my country, even though it's in another city. But I don't really follow their matches like I do with Bayern.

Same applies for Glasgow Rangers. I support them as well, but don't follow their matches.

I only consider myself fan of Bayern and Colombia. I support Rangers and Atletico Nacional.
BZ Squad member26
Old 16-12-2012, 20:04   #5
RJNair
BZ Member

Another football club apart from Bayern?
Arsenal.
BZ Squad member9
Old 16-12-2012, 20:11   #6
Garci
Hellblauer Bayern

My club is Bayern. Period. Then I have my home club, which I also support, which are Nacional de Montevideo, and then there are clubs which I like but not necessarily support, such as Juventus, Barcelona, or Internacional de Porto Alegre.
BZ Staff Member BZFM Season 1 Winner BZ Squad member8
Old 16-12-2012, 20:17   #7
HSK
BZ Member

I support Bayern and my hometown club: Real España.

BZ Squad member19
Old 16-12-2012, 20:29   #8
mea95
Mea San Mea

Football in Lebanon is shit, so I don't really follow the league.
I support the Lebanese teams in the AFC Champions league and in the Asian tournaments ...

I like Napoli and Newcastle United, but I only support and follow Bayern
BZ Staff Member Most 'liked' poster BZ Squad member30
Old 16-12-2012, 20:58   #9
jbm
BZ Member

Napoli you fuckk?!
Old 16-12-2012, 21:00   #10
rohr
meeehhh

I support both Bayern and Vitória.

It is a team from Salvador, Bahia, my hometown city.

The lion is the mascot of Vitória!
Player like Hulk, David Luiz, Dida, Vampeta, Edílson and Bebeto started their careers there.
BZ Squad member13
Old 16-12-2012, 21:09   #11
lau03143
Rot und Weiß

I support both Bayern and Glasgow Rangers.

I don't feel any conflict in supporting two teams.
Old 16-12-2012, 21:12   #12
jbm
BZ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lau03143 View Post
I support both Bayern and Glasgow Rangers.

I don't feel any conflict in supporting two teams.
Yea as long as they are not Barca and Real, or Real, Milan and Manchester United, or etc... as most glory hunters support
Old 16-12-2012, 21:14   #13
rohr
meeehhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
Yea as long as they are not Barca and Real, or Real, Milan and Manchester United, or etc... as most glory hunters support
Yeah, it is not like Vitória will EVER face Bayern.
So there is no conflict.
BZ Squad member13
Old 16-12-2012, 21:19   #14
jbm
BZ Member

If if there is a conflict in somehow, Vitoria is your hometown club so you'd be a moron not to support them
Old 16-12-2012, 21:20   #15
mavros
Munchen 07-11-2018

Why do I have the feeling that this thread already exists.....anyway

I support as well Barcelona, Liverpool, Olympiakos Piraeus and the national team of Spain

I support as well Barcelona, Liverpool, Olympiakos Piraeus and the national team of Spain

Kidding of course...

I support the Nationalmannschaft, the Greek National team and my local team AEK (Athens)

and I like permanently for some personal reasons:

and occasionally every single team of the world that a German or a Greek international is playing (as long as he plays there)!

Last edited by mavros; 16-12-2012 at 21:22.
BZ Squad member17