Go Back   BayernZone - FC Bayern München Forum > FC Bayern München > Matches > Bundesliga

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 21:21   #181
OnlyInsider
Münchens wahre liebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayer View Post
Sakujo, you came up yet again with a brilliant analysis with which I obviously agree, however I'd like to add my 2 cents on it, not trying to defend Kovacball by any mean because I agree with you as said, just to add another point of view: beyond any tactical revolution, the most important thing Heynckes truly brought when he came back was delivering new lifeblood for the squad who worked under a new atmosphere - this, coincided with Dortmund's downfall in the league, has made it possible for us to keep flying on enthusiasm's wings. He squeezed literally every bit out of everybody in the team but for how long could he possibly do so? He made them deliver more than they had yet again. It was brilliant and exactly what we needed to save this season, great job, but the way the players broke up with Ancelotti should've by no means been ignored by the board. It showed us there are a few players who think to be bigger than the club themselves, that was an alarm bell the board decided to ignore. If they couldn't pay any respect to a coach as the like of Ancelotti, what do you think they'd do for Kovac? I recall Lahm (one who has won literally everything in his career) admitting him meeting Carlo for the first time was emotional given how many trophies Ancelotti had won, players who are used to work with the likes of Ancelotti, Pep, Heynckes & van Gaal will definitely not be impressed to cope with Niko Kovac as their coach. We can discuss the legitimacy of such behavior as long as we'd like but it is what it is really. Let alone there still are players who wanted to leave this club once for all (Boateng). Football is no exact science and the lack of motivation and the atmosphere in a football club plays a huge role, in my opinion. Honestly as clueless as clueless Niko might be, and I agree he seems to show little tactical acumen, working under such circumstances would be tough for everybody. And I'm under the impression that Bayern's locker room these days is nothing short of a hell.

By the way, if Kovac was brought here to adopt a new tactical system and switch to a more conservative one in order to defend better when the big matches come, he's gonna nee do to do so when facing the minnows in Bundesliga, too, you need to get the team adjusted to a new tactical approach, you can't simply chase a new tactical style out of blue when you face Liverpool or so in late February.
I fully agree. You said pretty much all I've been thinking as of lately regarding us.
BZ Squad member6
The above post is liked by:
Bayer (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 22:00   #182
mea95
Mea San Mea

Quote:
Sakujo, you came up yet again with a brilliant analysis with which I obviously agree, however I'd like to add my 2 cents on it, not trying to defend Kovacball by any mean because I agree with you as said, just to add another point of view: beyond any tactical revolution, the most important thing Heynckes truly brought when he came back was delivering new lifeblood for the squad who worked under a new atmosphere - this, coincided with Dortmund's downfall in the league, has made it possible for us to keep flying on enthusiasm's wings. He squeezed literally every bit out of everybody in the team but for how long could he possibly do so? He made them deliver more than they had yet again. It was brilliant and exactly what we needed to save this season, great job, but the way the players broke up with Ancelotti should've by no means been ignored by the board. It showed us there are a few players who think to be bigger than the club themselves, that was an alarm bell the board decided to ignore. If they couldn't pay any respect to a coach as the like of Ancelotti, what do you think they'd do for Kovac? I recall Lahm (one who has won literally everything in his career) admitting him meeting Carlo for the first time was emotional given how many trophies Ancelotti had won, players who are used to work with the likes of Ancelotti, Pep, Heynckes & van Gaal will definitely not be impressed to cope with Niko Kovac as their coach. We can discuss the legitimacy of such behavior as long as we'd like but it is what it is really. Let alone there still are players who wanted to leave this club once for all (Boateng). Football is no exact science and the lack of motivation and the atmosphere in a football club plays a huge role, in my opinion. Honestly as clueless as clueless Niko might be, and I agree he seems to show little tactical acumen, working under such circumstances would be tough for everybody. And I'm under the impression that Bayern's locker room these days is nothing short of a hell.

By the way, if Kovac was brought here to adopt a new tactical system and switch to a more conservative one in order to defend better when the big matches come, he's gonna nee do to do so when facing the minnows in Bundesliga, too, you need to get the team adjusted to a new tactical approach, you can't simply chase a new tactical style out of blue when you face Liverpool or so in late February.
Did I tell you that I love you?
BZ Staff Member Most 'liked' poster BZ Squad member30
Bayer (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 22:15   #183
Bayer
Deep Mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mea95 View Post
Did I tell you that I love you?
haha love you too <3
BZ Squad member3
mea95 (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 22:37   #184
Sakujo
Oliver Kahn

Quote:

Thank you buddy, and yes I do agree on all accounts, that's why in my post I stated that the board holds a lot of the responsibility, just not enough to let Kovac off the hook though.
You already know my stance on the way Carlo was sacked, and especially on how the players initiated that chain of events.

yet I want to comment on this segment specifically;
"players who are used to work with the likes of Ancelotti, Pep, Heynckes & van Gaal will definitely not be impressed to cope with Niko Kovac as their coach"

Pep was a nobody in the coaching world when he took charge of Barcelona, Zidan was a nobody when he took charge of Real Madrid, these two may have been great players, how about the more recent example of Solskjær with Manchester united.
these 3 managers took charge of squads that have so much ego, it make ours look tiny, yet they managed to command respect and drove their teams to success.
an intigural difference between those teams and ours is that Barceonla had Poyal for their captain, Madrid have Ramos, ManU have Yong/Valencia, while we have Neuer (with no real impact on the team) & a part time clown (Muller). with a Sporting Director that no one takes seriously.
our team lacks a strong personality inside the team or close to it that can get the other players in line when needed which helps the manager a lot.

Kovac also made a fatal mistake when he tried to rotate excessively to keep everyone happy, he showed weakness to players who already had their heads inflated because of the board actions to side with them against their coach the previous season.

and forgive me, after watching Jupp seamlessly switch between possession based football, and counter attacking style when playing against Arsenal & Barcelona for instance, I can't accept watching us sit deep against Bremn when we are just one goal ahead.
BZ Staff Member BZ Squad member14
Bayer (04-02-2019), LookAtTheTime (04-02-2019), OnlyInsider (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 23:14   #185
OnlyInsider
Münchens wahre liebe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakujo View Post
Thank you buddy, and yes I do agree on all accounts, that's why in my post I stated that the board holds a lot of the responsibility, just not enough to let Kovac off the hook though.
You already know my stance on the way Carlo was sacked, and especially on how the players initiated that chain of events.

"players who are used to work with the likes of Ancelotti, Pep, Heynckes & van Gaal will definitely not be impressed to cope with Niko Kovac as their coach"

Pep was a nobody in the coaching world when he took charge of Barcelona, Zidan was a nobody when he took charge of Real Madrid, these two may have been great players, how about the more recent example of Solskjær with Manchester united.
these 3 managers took charge of squads that have so much ego, it make ours look tiny, yet they managed to command respect and drove their teams to success.
an intigural difference between those teams and ours is that Barceonla had Poyal for their captain, Madrid have Ramos, ManU have Yong/Valencia, while we have Neuer (with no real impact on the team) & a part time clown (Muller). with a Sporting Director that no one takes seriously.
our team lacks a strong personality inside the team or close to it that can get the other players in line when needed which helps the manager a lot.

Kovac also made a fatal mistake when he tried to rotate excessively to keep everyone happy, he showed weakness to players who already had their heads inflated because of the board actions to side with them against their coach the previous season.

and forgive me, after watching Jupp seamlessly switch between possession based football, and counter attacking style when playing against Arsenal & Barcelona for instance, I can't accept watching us sit deep against Bremn when we are just one goal ahead.
Agreed with you mate.

I often said that losing both Xabi and Lahm at the exact same time was the biggest blow to this team and one we haven't been able to compensate for as here and now. They were the ones keeping this team together as a unit.

We still have great players, but none of them are Xabi/Lahm kinda players and captains or leaders, Kimmich might grow into one but he's not there as yet.

I know some disliked Xabi and felt he got too much playing time the last year or two, (never understod the hate for him anyway), but one can't deny he was great for our locker-room - same goes with Lahm of course.
BZ Squad member6
Bayer (05-02-2019), Sakujo (04-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 23:19   #186
Bayer
Deep Mayo

Quote:

In fact if there’s anything I am sorry about is that this season has been showing very little more than we’d already know about the current state of the team and it won’t let me understand to what extent Niko is actually to blame. Going trophy less this season will just make things much harder than they already are for whomever shall be in charge by next summer.

To address your point: I undoubtedly see where you’re coming from, but the difference here is that Niko Kovac is by no mean what Pep, Zinedine and Solskjær are to respective their clubs. Pep was a Barça product who played for Barça for almost his entire career and had fully incorporated the club’s philosophy, Ole Gunnar played the vast majority of his career at United, in addition he has merit to have scored the 2:1 goal in that infamous CL Final all of us Bayern fans unfortunately know about. Zinedine Zidane (the nonplus ultra out of all the midfielders of his generation) moved to Real Madrid as a player as he was about to hit his prime and eventually retired there after having won his CL trophy there (by scoring a screamer). These players are legends of the clubs they played for and they’d technically be entitled to do whatever they want there. Niko Kovac is nothing compared to them and above all he can’t claim to have the same kind of bond as those aforementioned, as Niko Kovac didn’t really leave any legacy in Munich. It’s almost as if 10 years now Sebastian Rudy starts his coaching career and gets appointed by Bayern after a few years, will you say he’s an ex Bayern legend?

Not gonna counter your point on Niko’s mistakes because he indeed committed several mistakes thus far and he deservedly gets the blame for those, as said he’s not even making it any easier for him also given the statements he usually releases during press conferences.

And yes, Jupp Heynckes had once successfully switched from control of the possession to hitting the likes of Arsenal and Barça on the counter…but that was Jupp’s second season (after the board signed him whomever he wanted) at the helm of the club whose roster was made up of world class players about to hit their prime if not in the middle of the process, after an unfortunate first season which turned out to be a failure as his Bayern got repeatedly schooled by Dortmund (first) and denied by Chelsea (then). Do we remember the wounds generated and the rough patches we had to go through during Jupp’s first year of his 3rd tenure at the club? And even if we agree to ignore and pretend nothing happened, remember there’s only one Jupp Heynckes, and Jupp Heynckes failed many, many times before eventually becoming Don Jupp for us Bayern fans.
BZ Squad member3
DanaSchofield (05-02-2019), Jimmy (04-02-2019), Morlock (04-02-2019), Sakujo (05-02-2019)
Old 04-02-2019, 23:46   #187
Jimmy
BZ Member

Quote:
In fact if there’s anything I am sorry about is that this season has been showing very little more than we’d already know about the current state of the team and it won’t let me understand to what extent Niko is actually to blame. Going trophy less this season will just make things much harder than they already are for whomever shall be in charge by next summer.

To address your point: I undoubtedly see where you’re coming from, but the difference here is that Niko Kovac is by no mean what Pep, Zinedine and Solskjær are to respective their clubs. Pep was a Barça product who played for Barça for almost his entire career and had fully incorporated the club’s philosophy, Ole Gunnar played the vast majority of his career at United, in addition he has merit to have scored the 2:1 goal in that infamous CL Final all of us Bayern fans unfortunately know about. Zinedine Zidane (the nonplus ultra out of all the midfielders of his generation) moved to Real Madrid as a player as he was about to hit his prime and eventually retired there after having won his CL trophy there (by scoring a screamer). These players are legends of the clubs they played for and they’d technically be entitled to do whatever they want there. Niko Kovac is nothing compared to them and above all he can’t claim to have the same kind of bond as those aforementioned, as Niko Kovac didn’t really leave any legacy in Munich. It’s almost as if 10 years now Sebastian Rudy starts his coaching career and gets appointed by Bayern after a few years, will you say he’s an ex Bayern legend?

Not gonna counter your point on Niko’s mistakes because he indeed committed several mistakes thus far and he deservedly gets the blame for those, as said he’s not even making it any easier for him also given the statements he usually releases during press conferences.

And yes, Jupp Heynckes had once successfully switched from control of the possession to hitting the likes of Arsenal and Barça on the counter…but that was Jupp’s second season (after the board signed him whomever he wanted) at the helm of the club whose roster was made up of world class players about to hit their prime if not in the middle of the process, after an unfortunate first season which turned out to be a failure as his Bayern got repeatedly schooled by Dortmund (first) and denied by Chelsea (then). Do we remember the wounds generated and the rough patches we had to go through during Jupp’s first year of his 3rd tenure at the club? And even if we agree to ignore and pretend nothing happened, remember there’s only one Jupp Heynckes, and Jupp Heynckes failed many, many times before eventually becoming Don Jupp for us Bayern fans.

This right here x10. Niko has been making dumb tactical mistakes and rightly getting criticized, but I will cut him some slack and wait to see how the seasons ends before passing my final judgment. Just to see the bigger picture at the end and avoid knee jerk reactions.
I also recall Jupp almost got us knocked out in treble season against Arsenal and lost 3-1 to BATE. Zidane also got schooled against Wolfsburg in the first leg.

Now I'm not comparing Niko to those 2 or anything. I'm just saying we should try to put things into perspective regardless. I will be the first to call for his head if we are knocked out by Pool and Hertha as well as losing the league to BvB. At the end of the day, moaning all the time about Niko this, Kovac that won't really make a difference. Let's just wait and see.
Bayer (05-02-2019), Sakujo (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 00:03   #188
Sakujo
Oliver Kahn

Quote:

remember, we are talking about these coaches and their relation to the players not the fans, so their status as club legends (although I doubt that neither Pep nor Solskjær did enough to earn that title as players), doesn't change the fact that all 3 are nobodies in the world of coaching, in fact Niko has some experience and even a title as manager over them.
Jupp wasn't perfect, and he made neurones mistakes throughout both of his seasons, (Scumbag Jupp) is a true testament to that. but with him there were almost always a progress.
and when we lost, we've always put up a decent fight, at the moment I don't see any progress, instead it seems like every 4 or 5 matches Niko hits the reset button and we are back at it again.
our conceded goals so far in the season are a disastrous number .. it's a whooping 23 goals, we ended seasons with less goals conceded than that before.
I normally give our new coaches a full season before giving a judgment, but with every defeat and poor performance, with every weird lineup and a weird press statement i question myself, is it really worth it to wait till the end of the season?
Bayer (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 00:26   #189
DonAK
Captain Marc

Quote:
remember, we are talking about these coaches and their relation to the players not the fans, so their status as club legends (although I doubt that neither Pep nor Solskjær did enough to earn that title as players)
I don't post here anymore, but I lurk here sometimes as it's still interesting to see how fans of other teams discuss and there's some quality discussion going around here sometimes like this one, but I had to refute this point.

Pep was an absolute legend as a Barcelona player and one of the best midfielders in club history. Club Captain in his last few years and you could say Cruyff's right hand man on the field in Barcelona's Dream Team in the early to mid 90s which had players such as Laudrup, Koeman, Stoichkov and Romario in the last stages of it.

An idol to players such as Xavi, Arteta and Cesc Fabregas who has worn #4 his entire career because that was Pep's number.

Pep had authority from day 1 because of his status to Barcelona and the players. He was a ball boy that became club captain then later manager.
L4nd3r (05-02-2019), OnlyInsider (05-02-2019), PCapitalist (05-02-2019), Sakujo (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 00:42   #190
Bayer
Deep Mayo

Quote:
remember, we are talking about these coaches and their relation to the players not the fans, so their status as club legends (although I doubt that neither Pep nor Solskjær did enough to earn that title as players), doesn't change the fact that all 3 are nobodies in the world of coaching, in fact Niko has some experience and even a title as manager over them.
Jupp wasn't perfect, and he made neurones mistakes throughout both of his seasons, (Scumbag Jupp) is a true testament to that. but with him there were almost always a progress.
and when we lost, we've always put up a decent fight, at the moment I don't see any progress, instead it seems like every 4 or 5 matches Niko hits the reset button and we are back at it again.
our conceded goals so far in the season are a disastrous number .. it's a whooping 23 goals, we ended seasons with less goals conceded than that before.
I normally give our new coaches a full season before giving a judgment, but with every defeat and poor performance, with every weird lineup and a weird press statement i question myself, is it really worth it to wait till the end of the season?
You see though, we get back yet again to the very same point. If anything indeed, the fact Niko was forced to work his way up before eventually earning a title over his current players (and over Jupp's Bayern in his last game ever) is nothing but a testament to the fact he's not the utter idiot we're believing him to be. Thus, the source of all the chaos we're witnessing at Bayern should henceforth be seeked elsewhere and eventually addressed once for all when found. We can ask for Carlo's head, we can now ask for Niko's head and we might be pleased within the next months, but things are not likely to change anytime soon if we will never cease to be reactive and actually approach issues in a proactive way.

The question is always the same:
Niko ain't managing to gain the respect from the very same players he wanted to work with? Ok, give him the sack.

Buut...if not. Does the board trust Niko? Then why didn't they fulfill his requests? Aaand, if the board does not trust Niko, why did they hire him in the first place?
BZ Squad member3
OnlyInsider (05-02-2019), Sakujo (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 07:34   #191
Sakujo
Oliver Kahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonAK View Post
I don't post here anymore, but I lurk here sometimes as it's still interesting to see how fans of other teams discuss and there's some quality discussion going around here sometimes like this one, but I had to refute this point.

Pep was an absolute legend as a Barcelona player and one of the best midfielders in club history. Club Captain in his last few years and you could say Cruyff's right hand man on the field in Barcelona's Dream Team in the early to mid 90s which had players such as Laudrup, Koeman, Stoichkov and Romario in the last stages of it.

An idol to players such as Xavi, Arteta and Cesc Fabregas who has worn #4 his entire career because that was Pep's number.

Pep had authority from day 1 because of his status to Barcelona and the players. He was a ball boy that became club captain then later manager.
am glad this conversation brought you back, Bayer is a quality poster, it's alway fun engaging with him in different subjects.
I am not knowledgeable about Barcelona's history, so I think I may have reflected my opinion instead of a fact, for that I thank you for correcting me.

PS;
Spoiler
I hope you stick around and keep posting here

Quote:
You see though, we get back yet again to the very same point. If anything indeed, the fact Niko was forced to work his way up before eventually earning a title over his current players (and over Jupp's Bayern in his last game ever) is nothing but a testament to the fact he's not the utter idiot we're believing him to be. Thus, the source of all the chaos we're witnessing at Bayern should henceforth be seeked elsewhere and eventually addressed once for all when found. We can ask for Carlo's head, we can now ask for Niko's head and we might be pleased within the next months, but things are not likely to change anytime soon if we will never cease to be reactive and actually approach issues in a proactive way.

The question is always the same:
Niko ain't managing to gain the respect from the very same players he wanted to work with? Ok, give him the sack.

Buut...if not. Does the board trust Niko? Then why didn't they fulfill his requests? Aaand, if the board does not trust Niko, why did they hire him in the first place?
we are in total agreement that our board is at the heart of this issue, in fact I think 99% of BZ regulars agrees that our board is the main issue.
but what is it that we can do about it, for myself I leave this issue for time, in time Uli will step down and I hope whoever takes over has the same passion Uli have for Bayern with better vision for the future and less tax fraud.
I don't think Niko is an idiot, it's true that words like clueless and dumb are flying around here, but that is to be expected from us fans who react to defeats or any lineup that is not our favorite.

but then again as I said in my initial post, when you takeover a team like Bayern with this huge quality, there is expectations of you disregarding the environment.
If players are acting up, it's your job to get them in line, if they are not performing, it's your job to get the best out of them, and if they are continuously falling asleep after they score a goal or in the second half of each match, it's your job to fix that, and so far I am afraid that I didn't see any solutions.

lets talk David Moyes, you guys remember him. before joining ManU he was by no means an idiot. but do we remember how he ruined ManU since?
it doesn't mean that he's a bad manager, it means he could not assert himself and he could not cope with pressures of being a manager of a TOP TEAM. am afraid that Niko is facing the same issue.
he started really well, some players started whining about playing time and he suddenly implements an excessive rotation process that almost got him fired just a couple of months after he started working.
maybe he did it just to avoid injuries, either way it was his decision and he should be held accountable for it.

as of right now, my odds are 45% with Niko and 55% against him. the next 5% will be placed depending on how we will play against Hertha & Liverpool.
if we get trashed against Liverpool, I wont be a reasonable fan any more LOL!
I am fine with losing in a respectable manner, but if we get a beating then I'll start counting days for his sacking.
I do want the long term success of Bayern which will come through the board over-haul .. but I also want the short-term reasonable success which comes from the coach.
Bayer (05-02-2019)
Old 05-02-2019, 13:25   #192
Bayer
Deep Mayo

Quote:
am glad this conversation brought you back, Bayer is a quality poster, it's alway fun engaging with him in different subjects.
I am not knowledgeable about Barcelona's history, so I think I may have reflected my opinion instead of a fact, for that I thank you for correcting me.

PS;
Spoiler
I hope you stick around and keep posting here

we are in total agreement that our board is at the heart of this issue, in fact I think 99% of BZ regulars agrees that our board is the main issue.
but what is it that we can do about it, for myself I leave this issue for time, in time Uli will step down and I hope whoever takes over has the same passion Uli have for Bayern with better vision for the future and less tax fraud.
I don't think Niko is an idiot, it's true that words like clueless and dumb are flying around here, but that is to be expected from us fans who react to defeats or any lineup that is not our favorite.

but then again as I said in my initial post, when you takeover a team like Bayern with this huge quality, there is expectations of you disregarding the environment.
If players are acting up, it's your job to get them in line, if they are not performing, it's your job to get the best out of them, and if they are continuously falling asleep after they score a goal or in the second half of each match, it's your job to fix that, and so far I am afraid that I didn't see any solutions.

lets talk David Moyes, you guys remember him. before joining ManU he was by no means an idiot. but do we remember how he ruined ManU since?
it doesn't mean that he's a bad manager, it means he could not assert himself and he could not cope with pressures of being a manager of a TOP TEAM. am afraid that Niko is facing the same issue.
he started really well, some players started whining about playing time and he suddenly implements an excessive rotation process that almost got him fired just a couple of months after he started working.
maybe he did it just to avoid injuries, either way it was his decision and he should be held accountable for it.

as of right now, my odds are 45% with Niko and 55% against him. the next 5% will be placed depending on how we will play against Hertha & Liverpool.
if we get trashed against Liverpool, I wont be a reasonable fan any more LOL!
I am fine with losing in a respectable manner, but if we get a beating then I'll start counting days for his sacking.
I do want the long term success of Bayern which will come through the board over-haul .. but I also want the short-term reasonable success which comes from the coach.
Thank you for the lovely words and I can firmly share the sentiment about you buddy!

I have to say I definitely agree with you, I am not surprised to see Niko Kovac is not capable of coping with the pressure and the hype surrounding a club of such stature like Bayern since he basically never even came close to such a level and as a footballer he was nothing but a back-up player at most.
I in no way intend to defend Niko or what he's been doing thus far and he could've definitely (and should've) done much better than this, but I'll admit I usually tend to sympathize with coaches in general, a very infamous role, you take up a job that grants you a lot of responsibilities and seldom enough power to fully take care of all those. My point that I've been stressing is - Niko Kovac might be gone come next summer, but those who appointed him will still be there, with all the issues and mistakes related to taking such decision, the same liability will still be there albeit it might reveal itself under a different nature. It's a bit like Schalke these days, they change coaches and a few players but they keep delivering the same results more or less. A drastic overhaul is long overdue and we won't see major changes untill we'll take care of that issue, in my opinion.
BZ Squad member3
Sakujo (05-02-2019)
Closed Thread