Go Back   BayernZone - FC Bayern München Forum > Football talk > International Competitions

Old 14-11-2012, 22:09   #16
jbm
BZ Member

And EPL action.. and worldwide recognition.. and everything :\
Old 14-11-2012, 22:12   #17
Lord Byron
BZ Member

Falcao ´dreaming´ of move abroad - Soccerway

Quote:
"The reason I don't play in the Europa League is because of a technical decision by [Atletico boss Diego] Simeone, not because I'm leaving in January. It's just a precaution," Falcao said

"The dream is always there. The Premier League is an interesting league but I have a few years left on my contract with Atletico and I'm just focusing on Atletico."
BZ Squad member12
Old 14-11-2012, 23:18   #18
Jay
there is no need

Quote:
Falcao's ability to find the net is second to none, almost as efficent as Pele inside the area.
2011/2012
Mario Gomez - 177 shots, 95 shots on goal, 48 goals. 51% goal/shot on target ratio.
Radamel Falcao - 167 shots, 82 shots on goal, 39 goals. 48% goal/shot on target ratio.

Correction:
Quote:
Falcao's ability to find the net is second to none, almost as efficient as Mario Gomez in the area.
Old 14-11-2012, 23:20   #19
Bosstuber
Banned

Unfair comparison though, Falcao played less games for a worse team, Gomez has Ribery...
Old 14-11-2012, 23:28   #20
Jay
there is no need

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstuber View Post
Unfair comparison though, Falcao played less games for a worse team, Gomez has Ribery...
Gomez only played 1 more match than Falcao, but Falcao played in total 379 more minutes than Gomez.

And don't you think it is also unfair to compare Falcao to Pélé?
Old 15-11-2012, 05:34   #21
Lord Byron
BZ Member

Quote:
Falcao's ability to find the net is second to none, almost as efficient as Mario Gomez in the area.
Funny as it is, let's not go into a debate which has made Mario look unnecessarily bad. I had been looking at a stat at the number of chances created by the Bayern midfield per game- and it was impressive. You can't compare Bayern to any of the teams Falcao has played for.
BZ Squad member12
Old 15-11-2012, 08:03   #22
Grey
Free Cascadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosstuber View Post
Are you suggesting Ribery is kicking Gomez's foot for him?
BZ Staff Member Most 'liked' poster BZ Squad member10
Old 15-11-2012, 11:25   #23
FCBM13
Passion

I WAS going to agree with Bosstuber, but then I noticed that it was a goalsl/shot on target ratio, not a goals/minutes played ratio. The number of goals you score per minutes played is hugely supported by your backup, but the goals/shot on target ratio isn't, because it already takes that into account. Kind of. This statistic has really opened my eyes when it comes to Gomez's ability.
Old 15-11-2012, 19:30   #24
Sdzogs
BZ Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
Are you suggesting Ribery is kicking Gomez's foot for him?
No, but Bayern's midfield is way above Atletico's. And Falcao goals are not tap-ins in more than 50% like it is with Gomez.
Old 15-11-2012, 19:39   #25
Scooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdzogs View Post
No, but Bayern's midfield is way above Atletico's. And Falcao goals are not tap-ins in more than 50% like it is with Gomez.
And that matters why? Last time I checked the goals count the same when they cross the line.
Old 15-11-2012, 20:32   #26
Grey
Free Cascadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdzogs View Post
I'm sorry, but this isn't relevant to the statistics posted. It's about percentage of conversion of chances, not number of chances given. It doesn't matter of Gomez had 10 or 10 million chances, it matters how many he can actually convert.
BZ Staff Member Most 'liked' poster BZ Squad member10
Old 15-11-2012, 21:35   #27
jbm
BZ Member

Falcao is playing against shittier defenders than Gomez is: keep that in mind as well
Old 15-11-2012, 22:27   #28
Jay
there is no need

And for good measure, it's common knowledge that Falcao is 'King of the Europa League'. But he is no match for the most efficient goalscorer in Champions League history.

Old 16-11-2012, 05:28   #29
Lord Byron
BZ Member

I like Gomez, but it's stupid to compare him to Falcao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robery View Post
Funny as it is, let's not go into a debate which has made Mario look unnecessarily bad.
Well since you all insist...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey View Post
I'm sorry, but this isn't relevant to the statistics posted. It's about percentage of conversion of chances, not number of chances given. It doesn't matter of Gomez had 10 or 10 million chances, it matters how many he can actually convert.
The quality of chances Gomez has is far better than Falcao.
Gomez is part of a system to score at the funnel end. And he has excelled there undeniably.
From what I had seen of him, Falcao owned the goals he scored totally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
Falcao is playing against shittier defenders than Gomez is: keep that in mind as well
Uh, no? Tell me a good defense Gomez has broken. Dortmund? Chelsea? Did we win the CL? What happens when they park the bus? He's scored hattricks against shite defenses/that don't focus on him. Falcao thrives everywhere.

Don't be naive/ignorant. You watch the BL and you know the quality of the defenses. La Liga is much more technical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
And for good measure, it's common knowledge that Falcao is 'King of the Europa League'. But he is no match for the most efficient goalscorer in Champions League history.

What's your point, exactly?
BZ Squad member12
Old 16-11-2012, 06:03   #30
Jay
there is no need

t
Quote:
Uh, no? Tell me a good defense Gomez has broken. Dortmund? Chelsea? Did we win the CL? What happens when they park the bus? He's scored hattricks against shite defenses/that don't focus on him. Falcao thrives everywhere.
Can you tell me a solid CL-worthy defense that Falcao has broken down? If you look at the teams he has scored against this year:

Bilbao [10th 11/12]
Betis [13th 11/12]
Rayo [15th 11/12]
Valladolid [Promoted]
Malaga [4th 11/12]
Sociedad [12th 11/12]
Osasuna [7th 11/12]

My opinion is that he hasn't had 3 notably great performances against top teams in his European career. I would only count 1, and that is against Chelsea - against a completely different tactical playstyle compared to the 2012 Champions League final. Funnily enough, that is when people began hyping Falcao as the 'best striker in the world'.

FC Porto crashed out of the 2009/2010 Champions League, yet in 2010/2011 they went undefeated in their domestic competition, and destroyed teams in the Europa League, setting records for most goals scored.

Sadly, Falcao was not able to lead Atletico to the more important competition, being the Champions League. Instead, Atletico fed off scrubby teams in the Europa League like Celtic, Rennes, Udinese, Besiktas, etc. Don't even get me started on 2010/2011, where he destroyed the lepers, Spartak, and Vilarreal.

I can name 4 times in 2011/2012 that Mario Gomez had brilliant performances - against Netherlands, Manchester City, Napoli, and Basel.

It is true that Mario Gomez did not score against any of the teams in the Bundesliga top 4. However Atletico did not beat Barca, Madrid, Valencia, Mallorca, and Sevilla. Falcao did not score against Malaga, Levante, Osasuna, or Sevilla. That is 8 of the top 10 teams in La Liga [Atletico is #5, Bilbao is #10].

And the thing is, the Bundesliga top 4 had much better defenses than the top teams in La Liga. Hell, even Borussia Mönchengladbach had a better defensive goal/game ratio than Barcelona.

He became "popular" when he played in the Portuguese League for an undefeated team that only conceded 16 goals in 30 matches, and the best team he played against was Villareal in the Europa League [they got relegated the next year].

I simply think of him as a Europa League striker. I have yet to see him play well in the Champions League against good competition, and I bet that he will be playing for a bigger club next year. I do like him though, but I dislike the recent 'slaving' over his amazing ability.

Quote:
Don't be naive/ignorant. You watch the BL and you know the quality of the defenses. La Liga is much more technical.
The Bundesliga has extremely open and entertaining play. If you were to compare the Bundesliga top 10 teams from 11/12 to La Liga top 10 teams from 11/12, you would see the parity between the quality of teams, more specifically defenses. The bottom feeders of the league do not symbolize anything really, because they provide no positive output for the league in European play.

Quote:
What's your point, exactly?
My point is that Mario Gomez is an accomplished top-tier striker in European competition, unlike Radamel Falcao.

Last edited by Jay; 16-11-2012 at 07:11.